[Vision2020] Ped/Bike transportation options

Dan Carscallen areaman at moscow.com
Thu Jun 1 14:31:52 PDT 2006

(forgive me if this is a repeat, I seem to be having those "lost post"
issues . . .)

Joe says:
"It is worth pointing out that riding bikes is good for individual heath
and good for the environment. The same is not true of ORV trails."

I don't wanna go down the "good/bad for the environment" road.  The
impact is negligible at best.  Don't pick on my recreation and I won't
pick on yours.  I take responsibility for my actions.  I recreate (is
that even a word?) responsibly.  I won't lump you with your bad apples
if you don't lump me with mine.  Besides, where do a lot of those trails
that people are hiking and biking on come from?  ORV dollars.  You're
welcome.

As far as individual health, I can honestly say I've gotten some pretty
good workouts on my dirt bike.  Yes, it would have been much harder to
go those 70 miles on a pedal bike, but . . .

Then Joe says:
"We don't want to penalize people for choosing these options"

I don't think of it as a "penalty".  I think of it as taking
responsibility.  Yes, stepping up and donating to the trail foundation
is one way, but it would be nice to have an "account", so to speak, like
the ORV trail dollars work (in my limited understanding).  Then there'd
be another funding source to help buy more right-of-way to make more
bike/non-motorized/multi-use trails throughout Moscow and Latah County.

Hey, I'm just thinkin' out loud.

DC