[Vision2020] Ped/Bike transportation options

Joe Campbell joekc at adelphia.net
Thu Jun 1 09:51:30 PDT 2006

Dan,

It is worth pointing out that riding bikes is good for individual heath and good for the environment. The same is not true of ORV trails.

I think that we should encourage alternative forms of transportation in Moscow: walking, biking, and taking the bus. We don't want to penalize people for choosing these options, we want to encourage them to do so.

Government should take a postive role in encouraging alternative forms of travel. It would be better for all involved, not just the ones who take advantage of these alternatives. Taxing such forms of travel is not the way.

--
Joe Campbell

---- Dan Carscallen <areaman at moscow.com> wrote:

=============
Jeff says:
"It does seem appropriate that as bicycle use increases (as a substitute
for the high cost of driving and commuting) that there is some mechanism
for taxing bike riders for their share of developing a trail network -
similar to the tax on gasoline is used to build and maintain highways,
roads and streets."

I couldn't agree more.  I pay $10 each for off-road stickers that help
pay for ORV trails for dirt bikes and ATVs.  A lot of those are
shared-use trails (throwing mountain bikes and horses into the mix), but
the cost burden of the upkeep is on the shoulders of those who have to
buy the off-road stickers -- the dirt bikes and ATVs.

I would gladly toss in $5-10 annually for each bike we ride on the
Latah/Chipman/Paradise Path trails to help maintain them, as well as
building new connectors.  If it can be done for ORV's, it should be able
to work for bikes.

DC

 List services made available by First Step Internet,
          mailto:Vision2020 at moscow.com