[Vision2020] P&Z OKs Zone Change for Elevator Property

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Thu Jul 27 15:14:58 PDT 2006

>From today's (July 27, 2006) Moscow-Pullman Daily News -

P&Z OKs zone change for elevator property

By Omie Drawhorn, Daily News staff writer
Published: 07-27-2006

Two parcels of land south of downtwon Moscow that have grain elevators and
industrial structures may soon be developed into a mix of apartments and
commercial space.

The Moscow Planning and Zoning Commission recommended approval of a rezone
Wednesday night of the properties located at 625 S. Jackson St. and 803 S.
Main St., which are zoned industrial, to central business.

If the Moscow City Council approves the rezone, the grain elevators on South
Main Street will be preserved and redeveloped, and the structures on South
Jackson Street will be torn down and rebuilt.

Despite concerns from Moscow residents about the lack of downtown parking,
spot zoning and the magnitude of downtown, the commissioners approved the
rezone without conditions.

"I'm ready to go with this. This is an opportunity to let the downtown grow
in some way," commissioner Nels Reese said.

"What we need is people who are willing to step up to the plate and try to
do something with the property."

Commissioner Sue Scott supported a parking mitigation plan, but the idea was
overruled by the other commissioners.

Commissioner Art Bettge said although he thinks the concerns are valid, a
rezone hearing is not the time to address those issues.

"It's time for the City Council to step up and figure it out," he said.

Applicant Rick Beebe of B&G Ventures agreed.

"Whether the parking problem is real or perceived, it's a problem. The
council needs to determine the parking problem and how we fix it," he said.

Moscow Hotel owner Tom Bode supported a parking condition with the approval
of the rezone.

"I'm not opposed to the project; I'm opposed to it for parking reasons," he
said. "Without sufficient parking, the central business district cannot
remain a viable shopping area."

BookPeople owner Robert Greene said the downtown doesn't need to grow yet.

"This proposal is too soon; Moscow already has more square footage downtown
than the national average," he said.

Moscow resident Kit Craine said the city should decide what to do with the
whole area zoned industrial south of Sixth Street before rezoning individual
properties.

"We should rezone it as a whole instead of just cherry picking," she said.

This was the second time the commission reviewed the rezone application.

At a June 14 rezone hearing, Beebe withdrew his application after
commissioners decided to require a parking and pedestrian mitigation plan
for the parcels of land.

The original hearing included an additional parcel of land on 223 W. Eighth
St.

Beebe said he intends to apply for the rezone of the additional parcel of
land, which is located farther from the Central Business District than the
other two properties, at a later date.

Although he could easily apply to turn the property into a coal-fired plant,
he wanted to do something for the community.

"I am excited about the connectivity that the development would provide
between the downtown and the university," he said. "This will strengthen
downtown; that's what we're after is a strong downtown."

Seeya round town, Moscow.

"If I wanted to overhear every tedious scrap of brain static rattling around
in your head, I'd read your blog."

- Bill Maher