[Vision2020] Decision Not End of Fight for Spokane Couple

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Thu Jul 27 06:38:28 PDT 2006

>From today's (July 27, 2006) Spokesman Review -

http://www.tomandrodna.com/images/DianeLantz_MargeBallock.jpg
Diane Lantz, left, watches television as her partner of more than 25 years,
Marge Ballock, walks away in frustration after hearing that Washington's
high court upheld the Defense of Marriage Act. (photo courtesy of Joe
Barrentine of the Spokesman-Review)

Decision not end of fight for Spokane couple
Marriage ruling disappoints, doesn't discourage women
Jim Camden
Staff writer
July 27, 2006

Marge Ballack and Diane Lantz were ready Wednesday morning to get married.
Again.

That prospect meant they'd hardly slept Tuesday night and left them anxious
Wednesday morning as they waited for a court to say whether or not they
could.

"Are you going to get me another ring?" Ballack asked Lantz about 7:59 a.m.
Wednesday as she moved fitfully around the kitchen of their west Spokane
home, wiping already immaculate countertops.

"I suppose so," replied Lantz, sipping ice water and keeping one eye on the
television tuned to the Northwest news channel. "A ring for Nelson. A ring
for Spokane."

On their wall is a marriage certificate from Nelson, B.C., where they were
married in a civil ceremony three years ago last Friday. But that's not
recognized as a legal marriage in Washington state.

Together for nearly 29 years, they've raised two children and have six
grandchildren. They estimate they've spent thousands of dollars for legal
protections married couples enjoy, such as powers of attorney and joint
rights of survivorship.

By 8:01 a.m., there was no need for a trip to the jewelry store. The state
Supreme Court had ruled that same-sex marriage is unconstitutional. Ballack
and Lantz, who were the first same-sex couple in line to get married if the
5-4 decision had gone the other way, are still barred from being married in
Washington.

"Ohhh," said Ballack as she turned away, and tears formed in both women's
eyes.

Among the reasons in the court's majority opinion, an announcer on
television said, was that the Legislature can limit marriage to a man and
woman because it "furthers procreation, essential to the survival of the
human race."

"Same old crap," said Ballack. "If only we could procreate . we could be
married."

"We'd be millionaires, too," Lantz noted, managing a smile.

Wednesday's decision is likely the end to the court battles they and other
same-sex couples have waged for the last several years. Focus will likely
shift now to the Legislature, Ballack said.

"We're disappointed, but we're not discouraged," Lantz said. "This fight is
far from over. Equality has to be for everyone."

Footnote to Dale "Comb-Over" Courtney:  I believe that I have finally
discovered the gay agenda.  It involves monogamy, love, and longevity.

Book 'em, Dano.

Seeya round town, Moscow.

"If I wanted to overhear every tedious scrap of brain static rattling around
in your head, I'd read your blog."

- Bill Maher