[Vision2020] Downtown Parking, CBD rezone, Saving Grain Elevators

Nils Peterson nils_peterson at wsu.edu
Tue Jul 25 14:13:05 PDT 2006

Visionaries

A month ago we had a discussion of the merits of Rick Beebe's proposal to
rezone 3 parcels south west of the CBD to CBD zoning. I was at Otto's bus
stop this AM and see a P&Z notice for a hearing on the 2 parcels with
concrete grain elevators. The most southerly parcel from last time is
omitted this time. On that parcel I see work underway removing grain
handling equipment from the elevator.

The issue Wed 26th 7:30 Council Chambers will be adding two parcels to CBD.
An argument made here was that parking should be examined and perhaps
conditioned on any new CBD rezones.  But following that was a post pointing
to an article on the high cost of free parking. Perhaps I'll see you Wed
nite?

Building on the thinking in the article, I don't think its appropriate for
P&Z to stick parking requirements, or the milder 'parking mitigation'
requirements on a CBD rezone. For sake of of argument, I'll concede there is
a parking problem in the CBD. To impose parking requirements on one (new)
parcel in CBD is to unfairly burden that parcel with resolving the parking
problems downtown. By illustration, look at the COOP. Whether it has the
parking that would now be required by code, or not, the COOP is struggling
with congestion in its parking lot, and from what I can gather from COOP
newsletter and store signage, they feel that some of the problem originates
from people who park in their lot and then go elsewhere.

To be as charitable as possible, lets assume that everyone who parks in the
COOP lot shops in the COOP, but then some of them run across to Howard
Hughes or peek into Goodwill, or do another quick errand without moving
their car. Given that assumed behavior, the COOP's parking lot is addressing
part of the parking problem for the rest of downtown. Were they to add
another parking spot, or free one up by getting anther customer to use
alternative transportation, the gain is not  theirs alone, it is a benefit
to all their neighbors.  In the current situation, there is no incentive for
any CBD property to add free parking because it is to the advantage of their
neighbors and a cost to themselves.

Parking downtown is a problem that the City leadership needs to address. If
there is a shortage, and the character of the shortage need to be
identified. A LID on the CBD to create more parking could then be a solution
that would distribute the costs across existing and new parcels.

Its time for some leadership on this issue, or P&Z should find that having
more CBD is not in the interests of Moscow as a whole and P&Z should direct
retail development elsewhere (forbid the thought).