[Vision2020] Property tax cut?

Ralph Nielsen nielsen at uidaho.edu
Sun Jul 23 08:50:26 PDT 2006

ELLIOT WERK

IDAHO STATE SENATE
Legislative News
The “Special Interest” Session
July 16,
2006
                                      Volume 1, Number 6

In This Issue
·    The “Special Interest” Session – What’s in it For You?

·    Town Hall Meeting on the Property Tax Plans – July 24th, 6:30 PM
at Boise Public Library

Handy Web Links
My Home Page
Find out what is happening, what I’ve been up to, or fill out my
latest survey
Legislative Web Page
Excellent place to read bills, track legislation, contact
legislators, and more
Secretary of State – Elections Page
Look at campaign sunshine reports, lobbyist registration, and more
Absentee Ballot Request
Vote by mail, it’s quick, easy, and convenient
Contact Me
http://www.elliotwerk.org
mailto:elliotwerk at mindspring.com
Phone: 658-0388
Legislative Messages: 332-1000
Snail Mail:
6810 Randolph Dr., Boise, ID 83709
The “Special Interest” Session – What’s in it For You?
By now many of you have heard talk of a special session of the
legislature to provide a property tax cut. The Governor has asked
legislators to hold Friday, August 25, 2006 open in case a special
session is called.

Homeowners are rightfully asking for something to be done about
rapidly escalating property taxes. So, if a special session of the
legislature is called - what’s in it for you – the homeowner?

To answer that question let’s take a look at the tax cut proposal
that the Governor has laid out (both in his inaugural speech and many
times since). Then we can talk a bit about how the proposal affects
homeowners, and then about how the special session will work. Lastly
I will lay out the recently announced Democratic plan that provides
100% of the property tax relief to homeowners without raising the
sales tax.

The Governor’s Proposal - The proposal removes the school property
tax levy (known as the M&O - $3 per $1,000 of property value) from
all types of properties and shifts that cost (about $250 million) to
the sales tax. This would result in a reduction of about 20% in
property taxes for all classes of properties.

That sounds pretty good. Until you look at the details.

This proposal was rejected three times by the Senate in the last
legislative session because it penalizes the people that are asking
for the tax cut – the homeowners - while substantially weakening
education funding. There is no tax relief for homeowners in this
plan, just the mirage of relief.

Let me explain.

How the Proposal Affects Homeowners - Property taxes are calculated
differently for residential property compared to all other types of
property. While residential property taxes are based on full market
value (what we can sell our house for on the market) other types of
property (commercial, industrial, utility, and agricultural) are
assessed based on income potential. This has led to a dramatic
difference in property value increases over the last five years
(really forever).

For instance, while agricultural land and utility property taxes have
actually dropped almost 10% in the last five years, residential
property taxes have increased by almost 92%.

So back to the Governor’s plan – according to Idaho Tax Commission
figures - removing the M&O from all classes of property gives 60% or
about $150 million of the tax cut to properties other than owner
occupied homes (like your home that qualifies for the homeowner
exemption). That leaves 40% of the cut for you and me.

So lets recap, properties that have remained relatively flat or even
seen a decrease in their property taxes in the last five years will
get 60% of the tax cut while properties that have seen a 92% increase
in property taxes get 40%. Seems a bit…unfair.

And it gets even worse. We, the homeowners, pick up the lions share
of that $250 million cost since the proposal shifts the school levy
from property to sales taxes and business is generally exempt from
paying sales tax (remember all those tax exemptions). If business
properties are paying part of the school levy today and we shift to a
tax that they do not pay (and the costs stay the same) then
homeowners pick up that extra burden. That is how a tax cut becomes a
tax increase for you – the homeowner.

Another recap – 60% of the tax cuts go to special interests that have
seen no substantial property tax increases over the last five years
and homeowners see an overall increase in our tax burden as we pick
up the full cost for school funding.

But that is not all. Unfortunately there’s more.

If you itemize deductions on your federal income taxes you can deduct
your property taxes from your income. So in reality you pay your
property taxes with 75 or 80 cent dollars (depending on your tax
bracket). So not only will homeowners pay for a tax cut for special
interests, but you also lose the deductibility of that portion of
your tax burden!

That is why the Senate rejected this plan three times during the
regular session – it raises taxes on the people that need the cuts
the most – the homeowners. And it gives a juicy tax cut to property
classes that have not seen substantial property tax increases!

If you don’t believe me you can ask Senator Hal Bunderson – chairman
of the Senate Local Government and Taxation committee (you can
contact him at 888-7156). After weeks of study using Idaho Tax
Commission figures he led the charge against this plan in the regular
session and has spoken out repeatedly against it recently in the
Idaho Statesman.

That is why I call the contemplated special legislative session a
“Special Interest” session. It will provide tax relief only to the
special interests – not the homeowner.

How Will the “Special Interest” Session Work? – As the Governor has
laid it out, a proposal will be worked out behind closed doors. The
Governor will line up support for the plan prior to calling the
“Special Interest” session - guaranteeing that he has enough votes to
assure a quick victory. The “Special Interest” session will be called
on a Friday (August 25th) where the only proposal considered will be
his plan. There will be no committee hearings, no public testimony,
and no other plans considered.

The Democratic Plan – Property taxes on owner occupied homes have
increased an average of 92% in the last five years. You need some
relief. Our plan provides homeowners with 100% of the relief.

The plan is simple – everyone that qualifies for the homeowner
exemption is given an additional exemption from the school M&O levy.
You get a 20% property tax cut and special interests get nothing. No
shift, no complications. Just tax cuts where they are needed.

The cost of our plan is $104 million which can be absorbed by our
ongoing surplus (we currently have a $200 million fund balance – of
that about $100 million is likely ongoing revenue we can use to fund
property tax relief).

Town Hall Meeting on the Property Tax Plans

The Ada County Democratic legislators will host a Town Hall Meeting
at 6:30 PM on Monday, July 24th at the Boise Public Library. The
purpose of the meeting is to have a public review of both property
tax plans and provide the opportunity for the public to discuss and
comment on the plans.

We are offering this opportunity to ensure that the public is well
informed about the property tax plans and the ramifications of each
plan.

I hope to see you all there. You might want to arrive early since
space is limited and we expect a large crowd.

In closing I would ask you to contact your legislators to voice your
opinion about property tax relief. Do you want to pay for a cut for
the special interests or would you like targeted relief for
homeowners. You can contact your legislator by name at http://
www.legislature.idaho.gov/about/contactbyname.cfm or by district at
http://www.legislature.idaho.gov/about/contactbydistrict.cfm. You can
also contact the Governor (after all he is leading the charge) at
either 334-2100 or via email at http://gov.idaho.gov/ourgov/
contact.html.