[Vision2020] Moscow Leaders Discuss Ways to Rev Up Economy

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Tue Jul 11 07:16:58 PDT 2006

>From today's (July 11, 2006) Lewiston Tribune -

Moscow leaders discuss ways to rev up economy

By DAVID JOHNSON
of the Tribune

MOSCOW -- City officials, economic development personnel and local business
leaders lunched here Monday and hashed over the realities of both
maintaining and enhancing this university town's financial health.

Some said Moscow has become a "bedroom community" to Pullman's growing
business engine. Another said the town has a "sense of place" that will
continue to attract people and money. Still another said Moscow suffers from
an anti-business perception. And one suggested that the community's innate
luster could benefit from some in-house buffing.

"I think we really have a gem here that just needs some polish," Latah
County Commissioner Paul Kimmell said.

The gathering, one of several monthly roundtable discussions organized by
Moscow City Councilor Linda Pall, included Mayor Nancy Chaney, two other
council members, officials from the Latah Economic Development Council,
local business owners and some residents.

"Moscow is everybody's favorite home town," Pall said, reciting a mantra she
said she hopes would catch on throughout the community. Pall also said
Moscow needs to do a better job of embracing the University of Idaho and
work with the institution to foster local economic development.

But Jim Anderson, a former city councilman and downtown business owner, said
Moscow needs to develop a public relations campaign aimed at changing its
anti-business image. He said too many restrictive ordinances are scaring
away entrepreneurs and the perception needs to be changed before any talk of
economic growth.

"I would argue that growth itself is not sustainable," Chaney said. "We know
we have something special here, if we can put our finger on it." The mayor
suggested the potential for an ecological industrial park that produces
sustainable products that tell everyone Moscow is a "very cool happening
place."

The gathering came just a few weeks after Wal-Mart, the world's largest
retailer, announced it has shelved plans to build a supercenter here. The
city had refused a rezone request that would have opened the door for the
Wal-Mart expansion.

Joel Plaskon, city planner, said the town needs a comprehensive, pro-active
economic development plan. Pall agreed, but added that much of what Moscow
is today happened by chance. "Serendipity steers some wonderful things," she
said.

Bill Parks, a local business owner, said Moscow should consider itself
fortunate to have places like Schweitzer Engineering Laboratories that
continues to grow in neighboring Pullman and causes new employees to buy and
build homes here.

But Moscow City Supervisor Gary Riedner said the bedroom community notion
falls short when it comes to providing city services. "Residential
development does not pay for municipal services," Riedner said.

Margaret Howlett, executive director for the Latah Economic Development
Council, said more jobs are created by expanding established businesses than
by attracting new ones. She said the challenge is to promote primary jobs
that bring money into the community, rather than the kind of jobs that
simply exchange money among local residents.

Howlett said ordinances, regulations and rules don't generally keep new
businesses away. But uncertainty does. She said the city needs to work
toward agreement. "We've got to come to some consensus so everyone
understands the rules."

Tom LaPointe, of Lewiston's Valley Transit, told those gathered that
transportation needs must always be part of the development equation. He
said a number of grants are available and he encouraged city officials to
support public transportation.

Resident Kit Craine reminded everyone that many people in Moscow who work
out of their homes are violating conditional-use permit ordinances. "I think
there are a lot of people here bringing wealth into the community under the
table," Craine said, adding she thinks city officials should consider
changing some ordinances, rather than discouraging in-home businesses.

City Councilor Aaron Ament reminded everyone economic growth might be
limited by what many consider Moscow's limited water supply. He said
commercial development should be encouraged on the western edge of town and
the downtown area should be kept vibrant because it makes Moscow the kind of
town it is.

Seeya rouind town, Moscow.

PS - The current time is T minus 12 hours, 10 minutes.

"Uh, how about a 1-strike law. Death doesn't seem too extreme for a Level-3
sex offender."

- Dale "Comb-Over" Courtney (August 3, 2005)