[Vision2020] Question about Googling terminology

Paul Rumelhart godshatter at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 10 19:57:58 PDT 2006

I'd argue that the telephone and the television are the equivalent of
the computer, which is always lower case, but there is no equivalent to
the multi-headed hydra that is the Internet.  The phone system, at least
to my knowledge, was never thought of as this separate thing that had
it's own culture and a life of it's own.  Ditto television.  Phones
connect one-to-one, not really as part of a community except in the
sense that you could call anyone you knew the number for.  Television
was mostly one-way, so no community there.  The Internet is, in my mind,
different.  It's unique, and deserving of it's capital "I".  It's more
like a place than an object.

Paul