[Vision2020] corrected link: takings initiative

Mark Solomon msolomon at moscow.com
Tue Jul 4 08:36:04 PDT 2006

http://www.sos.idaho.gov/ELECT/INITS/06init08.htm

Jeff,

There is a huge difference between eminent domain as embodied in the
5th Article of the US Constitution and the conservative political
agenda to extend that to "regulatory takings". We can and should
engage in that dialogue as those same out-of-state conservative
interests funnelled $337,500 into Idaho to place a very dangerous
initiative on the November ballot.

On its face, it purports to tighten the eminent domain loophole
opened last year by the US Supreme Court in the case of Kelso v New
London, CT in which the court ruled that private property could be
taken for the purposes of economic development as determined by the
local government. Fine and good as far as that goes, even though the
ID legislature already tightened up our laws in this last session.

The danger is the second sentence in the proposed constitutional
amendment that would require cash compensation for anyone claiming a
supposed "regulatory taking" under Idaho's land use laws. The usual
actions that conservatives  cite as cases where they should be
compensated are land use and environmental laws. Need a water quality
permit to discharge pollution into a stream and don't like the
requirements because they will cost you money to install adequate
controls? Claim a "regulatory taking" and, under this initiative, get
the taxpayer to pay for your pollution. Want to build a hog farm but
the zoning says residential only? Claim a "regulatory taking" and get
the taxpayer to pay you for your "lost earnings". Are you a big
timber company and have been unhappy with having to leave some trees
by streams under the regulation of the Forest Practices Act? Claim a
regulatory taking and get the taxpayer to pay for the tree stumpage.
The list goes on literally forever.

The initiative as filed
(http://www.sos.idaho.gov/ELECT/INITS/06init08.htm ) focuses on land
use laws: ie: planning and zoning. The likely result if the
initiative is passed and found constitutional (there is the question
of whether it is constitutional as initiatives are restricted to one
issue only) is either bankruptcy of local government or the
elimination of land use laws: a dream of many conservative political
activists.

I'll point out that Idaho tackled this issue a decade ago and created
a public review process for all actions that some would claim as a
"regulatory taking". We are being used in a very deceptive manner by
out of state conservatives to advance an extremely radical agenda.

More later.

Mark