[Vision2020] Death threats over religious cartoons?

Art Deco deco at moscow.com
Tue Jan 31 20:26:17 PST 2006

Phil,

There is hardly anything of substance spoke/written/drawn/etc on political,
economic, social, and/or religious matters that will not offend someone.
Just reading this list over a period of time and the reactions to various
points of view should provide any reader with tons of proof of such an
assertion.

Even the most civil conversations on these matters can offend some.  That is
the nature of human discourse, and it will continue for a variety of
reasons, seeking truth, manipulating others, asserting power,
exhibiting/protecting egotism just to name a few.

That is why living in a country with freedom of expression is, for me, and I
expect for you, one of life's greatest blessings.

I can tell you that during the times I taught philosophy at the UI and
actually during the semester I taught MIS in the College of Business, I
received all kinds of threats, not to mention other related problems to deal
with.  That also is the nature of discussing/exploring ontological problems.

At his point in time no one owns the truth.  Many of us are sincerely trying
to make a tiny bit of progress toward a better understanding of the
universe, others not.  Open discourse, which is certainly offensive to some,
is one of the most important tools in those attempts at progress.

W.