[Vision2020] Thank You

Richard Schmidt 44schmidt at earthlink.net
Tue Jan 31 10:43:14 PST 2006

We went to a "modern" 3 room school (K-7) in the little town of Snover, MI.
We had indoor plumbing which was quite rare for small schools in those days.
Most other country schools were of the one room variety with 2 outhouses out
back. Most had a well with a hand pump. We lived on a farm 3/4 mile south
and walked to school. Dad & Mom didn't drive us because it was a short walk
and gas was rationed at that time. Some kids walked up to 1-3/4 miles to
school uphill both ways through 6' snow drifts (the uphill both ways and
through 6' snow drifts is a little deep)!! Country schools were located
fairly close together so kids could walk. In Michigan, counties are broken
up into townships and our township was 6 miles by 6 miles. We had 4 one room
country schools and our 3 room school in the township.

I lived in Tennessee a few years ago and remember an old timer talking about
walking to school 4-5 miles barefoot as they couldn't afford shoes. They did
have shoes to wear in winter though. You knew it was the truth because very
often you would see pictures of the whole school of kids taken in front of
the school and many did not have on shoes.

Dick