[Vision2020] More

Jim Meyer m1e2y3e4 at moscow.com
Tue Jan 31 00:32:57 PST 2006

Note to Phil Nisbet (reply follows):
I considered not sending this to the list but reluctantly decided to
publicly reply. As before, you astound me with your unwillingness to see
more than one side--but it is your thoughts that interest me because I
cannot understand your outlook coming from the rational being that I
think that you could be. That is really the only reason I am
communicating. I am trying to get more points of view. I am listening,
learning, open. But it seems, well, shall we say, that you are clearly
one-sided regardless of facts. It is not just you. I know a lot of
people like you. It bothers me that there are so many people who let
emotions run their lives, even without knowing it.. It seems at times
some people are from another world, with different laws of physics and
humanity. It makes me fear for our country when facts, logic, telling
the truth, and putting 2 +2 together don't really count for a large
percentage of our country. I think maybe the MRI study I mentioned
really explains everything. What do you think? I read recently read an
academic paper on the 70 years of politics in Idaho up until about 1980.
One comment that stands out to me is that the political parties will
change but only as the result of a massive upheaval. Apparently it is
only major upheaval that will get people thinking and maybe even then
you couldn't really define it as thinking, just reacting. I was hoping
we had enough upheaval to get people thinking, but you prove me wrong. I
guess we need a true catastrophe. How sad. How naive of me to think
otherwise. Anyway, thanks for the time you spent on your responses. It
was educational for me and I hope it was some benefit, however small,
for you. I have and had no intent to attack you or annoy you. I
apologize if I have. It is more like science to me--matter of fact--not
personal. I learned what I wanted to learn. I don't think I will be
continuing in this vein any longer, except my reply below.

Jim
Reply to Phil
I was trying to be nice but still make a point, that is why I used no
names. But since you ask--I will oblige.

You said, "What Ivins said is that the government was responsible for a
lightening strike’s ignition of methane gas that is an inherent part of
any coal seam in the bituminous grade."

On the contrary--she said no such thing. All she did was ask this, "a
few reporters have enough sense to ask the obvious question: What is
this mine's safety record? And when it turns out to be abysmal, a few
more reporters have enough sense to ask: Who's in charge of doing
something after a mine gets 205 safety violations in one year? Where's
the Mine Safety and Health Administration? Who runs it? What's their
background -- are they professionals or mining industry stooges? Who's
the Michael "Heckuvajob" Brown in this outfit? Why are so many jobs at
MSHA just left completely unfilled? How much has MSHA's budget been cut
since 2001 to pay for tax cuts for the rich?"

These are reasonable questions to ask. They are merely questions. Are
you afraid to face the answers? Can you engage in "ruthless
self-reflection" ?

As Mike Curley said, "I know you responded to Keely, but having had a
minute today to look at email, I happened to have read both her post and
yours, and I was puzzled. It seemed to me you saw something I didn't. So
I re-read the Molly Ivins column that was part of Keely's post. It
didn't say that the miners were bad guys, that they didn't love their
jobs, that they weren't dedicated, weren't generous, or weren't well paid."

Why do you make things up? I mean the emotional and unrelated wording--I
assume your facts are correct such as they are. I really don't like to
say this but you remind me of Dale Courtney. Do the ends justify the
means for you also? Are the ends more important than squarely facing all
the facts, including those that don't support your presuppositions?
Dale's integrity is already in the sewer and he knows exactly what he is
doing, but you, why do you do it? Isn't it time for some "ruthless
self-reflection?" Perhaps the article that follows will give you some
reason to question your asssumptions and look further.There is a lot
more out there. You just have to open the other eye--the one that is
looking but not seeing.
Jim

MSHA and the Sago Mine Disaster
*How Many Brownies are there in this Administration?*

*by Scott Lilly
January 6, 2006*

The terrible story from West Virginia that blanketed the nation’s
television screens this week should be a further reminder of the cost of
corrupt and incompetent government. There is virtually no one who will
argue that the Sago Mine was operating at an acceptable level of safety.
/USA Today/
<http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2006-01-04-mine-violations_x.htm?POE=NEWISVA>
this morning reports that the mine

/“had been cited for hundreds of federal safety violations since it
opened in 1999, government records show. Among the infractions were at
least 16 related to failures to prevent or adequately monitor the
buildup of explosive gases in the mine.”/

So why didn’t somebody do something? The answer to that is directly
attributable to the individuals in whose hands the safety of miners and
other workers has been placed by this administration and the prevailing
mind set within the administration on any issue in which business
interests differs from those of workers.

A year ago last November, President Bush’s appointed head of the Mine
Safety and Health Administration, David Lauriski, resigned his position
citing family reasons. His resignation came shortly after a Labor
Department Inspector General report
<http://www.oig.dol.gov/public/reports/oa/2005/25-05-001-06-001b.pdf>
confirmed a CBS “60 Minutes”
<http://www.jackspadaro.com/news_articles/2004/04_04_04/60min04_04_04.pdf>
report that under his direction the agency had improperly awarded
no-bid, single-source contracts. Two of those companies had ties to
Lauriski and one of his assistants.

But Lauriski is best remembered at MSHA for his attempt to push through
a change in regulations governing coal dust levels that he proposed and
lobbied on behalf of as a senior executive with Energy West Mining
Company of Utah. Since the change uniquely benefited only his former
employer, it was opposed by not only the Mine Workers but also mine
operators other than Energy West. Lauriski was able to side with the
other mine operators on a host of other regulatory changes detrimental
to worker safety. According to the /New York Times
<http://www.theocracywatch.org/environment_coal_times_aug9_04.htm>/,
MSHA under his direction

/“rescinded more than a half-dozen proposals intended to make coal
miners' jobs safer, including steps to limit miners' exposure to toxic
chemicals. One rule pushed by the agency would make it easier for
companies to use diesel generators underground, which miners say could
increase the risk of fire.”/

It took a full ten months for the White House to even nominate a
replacement for Lauriski and the Senate has yet to act on his
confirmation leaving the agency without a permanent director now for 14
months.

The administration’s efforts with respect to mine safety cannot be
explained solely on the basis of relaxed regulation. The enforcement of
the remaining regulations has also been under attack. As Carol Raulston,
a spokeswoman for the National Mining Association, told the /Pittsburgh
Post-Gazette <http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06005/632959.stm>/
yesterday, /“What we have seen that is different with the Bush
administration is that they put a little more emphasis on working with
mining companies….”/

One way of working with the mining companies is to cut fines. Peg
Seminario of the AFL-CIO estimates that the average fine per violation
levied against Anker Group Incorporated, the company that operated Sago
Mine, was about $247—little more than a minor expense of doing business.

A second means of cutting back on enforcement is cutting back on
inspectors. Last February, President Bush asked the Congress to
appropriate $280 million for MSHA, cutting the number of full time
positions in the agency by 146. That proposal was approved by Congress
just before Christmas on narrow votes in both Houses. Subsequently
Congress approved a 1 percent across the board cut to all agencies,
cutting the MSHA’s budget by an additional $2.8 million and leaving it
about $10 million below the FY 2005 funding level after adjusting for
inflation. As a result of Congress’s action, the cut in mine inspections
will be even deeper than the level proposed by the White House.

What is even more disturbing is that this is not a problem that simply
affects mining. At the time that David Lauriski was going out the door,
a new Bush appointee to be acting director of the Occupational Safety
and Health Administration, an agency responsible for the workplace
safety of most Americans who don’t work in mines was coming in. Jonathan
L. Snare brings credentials to OSHA that should give pause to any
working family watching television coverage of the Sago Mine disaster.

Before arriving at the Labor Department, Snare was a lawyer and lobbyist
in the Texas-based firm of Jackson and Walker, LLP, a firm claiming
<http://www.jw.com/site/jsp/practiceinfo.jsp?id=30> to specialize in,
among other things, “appropriate discipline of employees” and “union
avoidance campaigns.” Among his clients
<http://archives.cnn.com/2002/HEALTH/diet.fitness/08/15/ephedra.investigatio/>
was Metabolife International, the leading provider of the weight loss
supplement Ephedra, which was eventually banned after the Food and Drug
Administration received numerous reports of deaths linked to its
ingestion. A criminal investigation of the company was launched
following an FDA request to the Justice Department to determine if the
company had made false statements regarding the supplement. Since then
Metabolife and one of its cofounders has pleaded guilty to numerous
counts of tax evasion. Twelve million Americans had been using the
supplement before the FDA action.

While Snare’s lobbying activity involved him in some health and safety
issues—although rarely on the side of consumers or workers—he seems to
have spent much of his time on politics. He served as Election
Operations Vice-President of the Republican National Lawyers Committee,
General Counsel to the Texas Senate Redistricting Committee and General
Counsel to the Republican Party of Texas.

There seems to be no end to the number of Michael Brown “act-a-likes”
that can be found in the Bush administration. The corruption that is at
the base of the remarkable fundraising machine assembled by this White
Hose and their allies in Congress drives an ever increasing wedge
between the interests of ordinary Americans, such as the miners who died
this week in West Virginia, and the special interests that currently
fuel the good life in Washington.

Also, Read: Protecting the American People: A Progressive Alternative to
the Bush Administration
<http://www.americanprogress.org/site/pp.asp?c=biJRJ8OVF&b=1360675>, by
John Podesta and Reece Rushing

/Scott Lilly is a senior fellow at the Center for American Progress./