[Vision2020] Right to Work

Phil Nisbet pcnisbet1 at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 30 11:43:42 PST 2006

Nick

All I said was that I do not believe in the closed shop and there is a
significant difference between your proposal of agency fees and the closed
shop system.

If the workers at a job site vote to unionize, I fully support their right
to collective bargaining under the banner of their union.  But closing off
job opportunity for those who for what ever reason do not chose to join the
Union is hardly beng pro-choice.

I have worked at closed shops and been a Union member before.  In those
settings I found that the union was not as concerned with the guys on the
shop floor and more interested in the benefits for the guys running the
union.  The specific unions I mentioned were the pits.  Mark Solomon even
confirmed the poss poor practices of the Steelworkers where the miners at
the Bunker Hill were concerned.  I can provide some pretty good examples
form that situation where worker safety took a back seat to top dog
benefits.

Frankly Nick, you are much more interesting unchained and I do not think
that my comments were intended to chain you.  I simply think that something
had to be done to curb the abuses of the closed door system.  Maybe your
agency fee idea is a workable means of improving the right to work law in
place now and I would be glad to entertain that notion.  But I would not
want a return to the closed shop nepotism and cronyism that I have seen
rampant in too many places, because it does not mean better pay or better
working conditions for the guys on the shop floor.

Phil Nisbet