[Vision2020] The pledge Controversy

Donovan Arnold donovanjarnold2005 at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 29 20:11:23 PST 2006

Sunil,

  You wrote,

  "Perhaps I missed your reply to my question; do you have any evidence derived
  in your studies as a political science major showing a positive relationship
  between saying the pledge and improving governance?"

  No, but I will contend that countries without pride, honor, and respect for their
  legitimate authority preform poorly and those that have a pledge, anthem, pride,
  honor, and give respect to legitimate government authorities last  longer and provide for a better life for their citizens. Teams that  have a fight song, preform
  better, and organization that say the pledge or recite a misson statement last
  longer and are generally larger and more productive. Studies show that  when people do things together they form deeper bonds, work together  better, and
 are more productive. Studies show that firmiliar  rituals when in a new environment make people feel more included and  comfortable and more likely to offer input and support to the  organization.

  "Boy, there's no better way to identify free people than by their compelled
  chanting."

Yes there is, banning people from formally and publicly demonstrating their respect and honor for what they believe in.

  _DJA

Sunil Ramalingam <sunilramalingam at hotmail.com> wrote:  Donovan,

Perhaps I missed your reply to my question; do you have any evidence derived
in your studies as a political science major showing a positive relationship
between saying the pledge and improving governance?  I look forward to your
answer.

I had to read this twice to assure myself you actually wrote it:

"The reasons it is more important to  compel people to say the Pledge then
it is to prevent them are to  numerous to list. However, I still state that
one of the most important  of reasons is that we remind people that this
country is about freedom,  justice and liberty for all so that they know
when their legislatures  and policy makers are violating the purpose for
which this nation was  founded."

Boy, there's no better way to identify free people than by their compelled
chanting.

Sunil

>From: Donovan Arnold
>To: joekc at adelphia.net, Chris Storhok
>CC: vision2020 at moscow.com
>Subject: RE: [Vision2020] The pledge Controversy
>Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2006 21:33:17 -0800 (PST)
>
>"Any council member is free to enter the chamber  BEFORE the council
>meeting begins and say the Pledge. (I am not talking  about the situation,
>that Donovan noted, of saying the Pledge AFTER the  meeting has begun.) Why
>is this not enough? Why is it important to  compel others to follow your
>example of patriotism, or to publicly  embarrass those who choose not to do
>it? Again, you have a hard time  convincing me that all this talk isn't
>hooked up with some further  political agenda."
>
>   Joe,
>
>  The Pledge is meant to be  said with other people. A pledge or oath taken
>alone loses its meaning,  intention, value, and overall effect. The pledge
>is a social function,  not an independent function. It is a simple action
>taken to show  respect for the country and to acknowledge its authority as
>the  legitimate one for this community.  If others are embarrassed for  not
>showing respect to those that give them their freedom and wealth,  maybe
>they ought to be.
>
>  The reasons it is more important to  compel people to say the Pledge then
>it is to prevent them are to  numerous to list. However, I still state that
>one of the most important  of reasons is that we remind people that this
>country is about freedom,  justice and liberty for all so that they know
>when their legislatures  and policy makers are violating the purpose for
>which this nation was  founded.
>
>   Take Care,
>
>   _DJA

 List services made available by First Step Internet,