[Vision2020] I Like Wal-Mart

Kai Eiselein, LatahEagle Editor editor at lataheagle.com
Sat Jan 28 15:32:58 PST 2006

I do, I'll admit it. The first time I was in one was in Louisiana, way back
when. I walked in, having never heard of the place, found what I needed, saw
the price and thought, "I wish we had these back home."
Wal-Mart is convienient and the prices are reasonable. Do they have
everything I need/want? No. But they do have everyday items I do need. For
instance, I have to take naxpoxen sodium (Aleve) for my knees/hip
(orthopaedist's orders). I can get 100 pills of the house brand at Wal-Mart
for about $5, which is whole lot cheaper than anywhere else. Deodorant,
razors and most everyday items are there at a cheaper price.
I buy film on occasion (I shoot about 95% digital now) at the store, usually
for 2-4 bucks cheaper than anywhere else. When I shot a lot of film, I
usually bought it in bulk off of E-bay. If I need "quickie" prints or
processing, I use Wal-Mart or Costco. A mini-lab is a mini lab and both
places have newer ones. I have built a working relationship with lab
employees at both places. I can ask for push/pull processing, custom
cropping, the whole shebang and get a decent job done by them...in a hurry,
if needed. At a decent price, even.
For the times when I need the absolute perfect, hand checked, print I use
Wasem's in Clarkston or an east coast lab via mail. I used to use a local
lab, but they managed to lose 2 major orders in a row, in house! I had to
refund my clients several hundred dollars and still pay the lab. Neither
Wal-Mart or Costco has EVER lost one of my orders at their in-house labs. I
trust them.
Wal-Mart doesn't have the type of photo equipment I need either, so I check
Wasem's. Sometimes they have it, sometimes they don't. If they do and I need
it right away, I'll purchase it. Usually they are price prohibitive, because
they are the only photo store within about a hundred miles, so I wind up
buying online.
If I need a pack of deck screws...Wal-Mart.
Lumber, plumbing or electrical items... Moscow Building Supply or Tri-State.
Feed/supplies for my kid's fair animals over the years? Spence Hardware,
Intermountain Feeds and D&B Supply.
Wal-Mart has a lot of "stuff", but its not specialized "stuff", its just
"stuff" the average person on a budget needs on a regular basis.
Smart business owners check out Wal-Mart to see what they "don't" offer and
aim at that market. There is a lot that Wal-Mart doesn't sell.
Portrait photographers compete with Wal-Mart, Sears, J.C. Penney and any
number of other "crank 'em thru" $9.99  studios. But the $9.99 studios don't
do location work, nor do they do much custom work. They make pictures.
Independent photographers capture a moment in time and turn it into art.
Skill, quality and knowledge make the difference.
The same applies to Wal-Mart and other businesses. Know exactly what you
want/need and its a general item? Go to Wal-Mart.
Not sure, need advice or a specialized item? Go to a pro and get it.

  http://www.eset.com