[Vision2020] Signs, signals, and whatnot (was: D Street and Mountain View)

Art Deco deco at moscow.com
Sat Jan 28 08:58:50 PST 2006

MessageTom, Dan, Jackie, Moscow City Council,

I walk through the intersection of D Street and Mountain View Road several times a year generally in the early morning when students are accessing the area.  Besides the Junior High School students, young, easily distractible students going to and from MacDonald Elementary School also cross there.

My observations lead me to the opinion that:

1.    Intelligent traffic signals are desperately need there and not like the stupid signals at 6th and Washington that require pedestrians (without a discernable reason) to push a button every time they wish to cross.

2.    Once signals are installed, diligent enforcement is needed.

3.    Currently, some people drive at quite excessive speeds on Mountain View.  Perhaps, the MPD could be persuaded to do some enforcement activity now.

When dealing with safety problems at intersections used by young people who do not always pay attention, slowing down, stopping, and/or driving very cautiously is a small price in time and effort to pay to avoid inflicting harm and stress, and to show consideration to others.

Thank you to Tom, Dan, Jackie, and others whose actions and questions hopefully will bring about intelligent action on this issue and perhaps avoid a great tragedy.

Art Deco (Wayne A. Fox)
deco at moscow.com