[Vision2020] LMT -- Everyone hears this tree fall

Art Deco deco at moscow.com
Thu Jan 26 11:23:31 PST 2006

Dan,

I am glad we agree that usage fees are not unreasonable.  You pay the
off-road fee.  My wife and I pay an annual state park user fee and an annual
Park 'n Ski fee.  I consider it money well spent, although I wish there was
a little more enforcement to keep snowmobiles from tearing up designated
x-country ski/snowshoe trails in Park 'n Ski areas.

I know we don't agree about the percentage of bad-asses in the motorized
recreation group.  Regardless, we both know that there are a number of users
who will continue to perform destructively and unsafely and no amount of
education will alter these people.  However, one would hope that stiff
fines, jail sentences, and perhaps equipment forfeiture might deter some of
them.

I might add the problems that motorized hunters bring are very sobering.  I
say this after being shot at 2 or 3 days after deer season closed this year
by a hunter who heard me step onto and break the ice of a puddle.  Without
being able to see me, he fired apparently in the direction of the noise
which I assume (hope) he thought was animal stepping through the ice.  After
hearing my response (and being very modest, I can't repeat it here), he sped
off down the mountain, off-road very quickly -- probably destroying some of
Bennett's young trees in the process.

Respectfully,

Art Deco (Wayne A. Fox)
deco at moscow.com