[Vision2020] LMT -- Everyone hears this tree fall

Phil Nisbet pcnisbet1 at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 26 09:56:49 PST 2006

Mark

Any landowner has at least some sort of right to allow or not allow access
to their property.  You do not get instant access to the farmer's fields to
drill holes or to recreate.  People can not use your ground up on Moscow
Mountain as a target range without your approval.  So why exactly should
Potlatch or Bennet or any timber company who owns land be required to grant
the things that the rest do not gratis?

If a farmer or you post your property off limits and another party comes to
you asking to use your land for some purpose that you deny to the general
public, you have every right to expect that person asking for the use of
your lands to pay you.  You can also chose to allow some uses on your land
and not to allow others.

Frankly if the public funds aspects are that big a problem, maybe the land
in question should be closed to public use.  No pay, no play and they can
always do what ever deal with individual recreationists who want to put up
funds themselves.

Extra law enforcement does not repair damaged roads, destroyed trees or pick
up garbage left by people using another persons land as if it were their
own.  Even if they bust some of the people creating problems, those folks
never recompense the property owner for the harm done, they pay a fine or do
jail time and the money goes to the government, not the land owner.

Phil Nisbet