[Vision2020] Walmart

Shirley Ringo ringoshirl at moscow.com
Wed Jan 25 12:09:28 PST 2006

Visionaries:

The concern about Wal-Mart issues among legislators in Boise does not seem to reach the level I notice in contributors to Vision 2020.  There is interest, but I haven't spoken to enough individuals to know how widespread it is.  Certainly Democrats would be interested in some type of legislation addressing the drain resulting from low compensation, and displacement of other businesses.

Bruce Newcomb, Speaker of the House, has been very clear in expressing his feelings about this issue.  He has indicated legislation would be coming.  Today, when I spoke to Speaker Newcomb, he was not sure whether he would follow up with legislation or include the issue in a study of Health and Welfare matters.

I will keep you posted.

Shirley