[Vision2020] Tribune feature

Joan Opyr joanopyr at earthlink.net
Tue Jan 24 20:41:08 PST 2006

On 24 Jan 2006, at 20:30, Don Coombs wrote:

> Why should frequency of posting be used to determine who represents
> Vision2020?
>
> I think it would be far better to take three or four major issues and
> show how Vision2020 had a role in developing them. David would have
> the actual postings to work with and could get great quotes from
> people looking back with hindsight. With hindsight on the issues, and
> hindsight on what Vision2020 has become.
>
> Don Coombs

I like Don's idea much better than the original proposal.  Frequency of
posting has nothing to do with quality (or relevance) of content.  I've
been on Vision 2020 for about two and a half years; in that time, I've
deleted many more messages than I've read.  I've also sent some posts
that I've loved, others I've regretted, and a few for which I've issued
both public and private apologies.

The most important thing about Vision 2020, for me, is the number of
people I've met on the list that I'd never have met otherwise.  Through
2020, I've made many friends, my fair share of enemies, but I've fully
engaged with the political and cultural life of Moscow.  I don't know
about the rest of you, but I found it difficult to "plug in" before I
joined the list.  The local Democratic party, for example, meets as a
club in people's homes, people I don't know.  That's . . .
intimidating.  (I don't know where or how the Latah Republicans meet,
but I've met Tom Trail and Gary Schroeder, and I like them both.
Couldn't have done that without this list, either.)

Joan Opyr
Northern Idaho Editor
New West Magazine
www.newwest.net