[Vision2020] pot luck

Phil Nisbet pcnisbet1 at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 24 11:04:19 PST 2006

Wayne

Actually the Wiccan holiday is 2 February and not 4 February.

http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Cafe/1614/Celtwicc/Wicca/Wicca04.htm

Or from http://www.wicca.com/celtic/akasha/imbolclore.htm

Imbolc Lore
(February 2nd)

Imbolc, (pronounced "IM-bulk" or "EM-bowlk"), also called Oimealg,
("IM-mol'g), by the Druids, is the festival of the lactating sheep. It is
derived from the Gaelic word "oimelc" which means "ewes milk". Herd animals
have either given birth to the first offspring of the year or their wombs
are swollen and the milk of life is flowing into their teats and udders. It
is the time of Blessing of the seeds and consecration of agricultural tools.
It marks the center point of the dark half of the year. It is the festival
of the Maiden, for from this day to March 21st, it is her season to prepare
for growth and renewal. Brighid's snake emerges from the womb of the Earth
Mother to test the weather, (the origin of Ground Hog Day), and in many
places the first Crocus flowers began to spring forth from the frozen earth.

The Maiden is honored, as the Bride, on this Sabbat. Straw Brideo'gas (corn
dollies) are created from oat or wheat straw and placed in baskets with
white flower bedding. Young girls then carry the Brideo'gas door to door,
and gifts are bestowed upon the image from each household. Afterwards at the
traditional feast, the older women make special acorn wands for the dollies
to hold, and in the morning the ashes in the hearth are examined to see if
the magic wands left marks as a good omen. Brighid's Crosses are fashioned
from wheat stalks and exchanged as symbols of protection and prosperity in
the coming year. Home hearth fires are put out and re-lit, and a besom is
place by the front door to symbolize sweeping out the old and welcoming the
new. Candles are lit and placed in each room of the house to honor the
re-birth of the Sun.

Another traditional symbol of Imbolc is the plough. In some areas, this is
the first day of ploughing in preparation of the first planting of crops. A
decorated plough is dragged from door to door, with costumed children
following asking for food, drinks, or money. Should they be refused, the
household is paid back by having its front garden ploughed up. In other
areas, the plough is decorated and then Whiskey, the "water of life" is
poured over it. Pieces of cheese and bread are left by the plough and in the
newly turned furrows as offerings to the nature spirits. It is considered
taboo to cut or pick plants during this time.

Various other names for this Greater Sabbat are Imbolgc Brigantia
(Caledonni), Imbolic (Celtic), Disting (Teutonic, Feb 14th), Lupercus
(Strega), St. Bridget's Day (Christian), Candlemas, Candlelaria (Mexican),
the Snowdrop Festival. The Festival of Lights, or the Feast of the Virgin.
All Virgin and Maiden Goddesses are honored at this time.

Deities of Imbolc:
All Virgin/Maiden Goddesses, Brighid, Aradia, Athena, Inanna, Gaia, and
Februa, and Gods of Love and Fertility, Aengus Og, Eros, and Februus.

Symbolism of Imbolc:
Purity, Growth and Re-Newal, The Re-Union of the Goddess and the God,
Fertility, and dispensing of the old and making way for the new.

Symbols of Imbolc:
Brideo'gas, Besoms, White Flowers, Candle Wheels, Brighid's Crosses, Priapic
Wands (acorn-tipped), and Ploughs.

Herbs of Imbolc:
Angelica, Basil, Bay Laurel, Blackberry, Celandine, Coltsfoot, Heather,
Iris, Myrrh, Tansy, Violets, and all white or yellow flowers.

Foods of Imbolc:
Pumpkin seeds, Sunflower seeds, Poppyseed Cakes, muffins, scones, and
breads, all dairy products, Peppers, Onions, Garlic, Raisins, Spiced Wines
and Herbal Teas.

Incense of Imbolc:
Basil, Bay, Wisteria, Cinnamon, Violet, Vanilla, Myrrh.

Colors of Imbolc:
White, Pink, Red, Yellow, lt. Green, Brown.

Stones of Imbolc:
Amethyst, Bloodstone, Garnet, Ruby, Onyx, Turquoise.

Activities of Imbolc:
Candle Lighting, Stone Gatherings, Snow Hiking and Searching for Signs of
Spring, Making of Brideo'gas and Bride's Beds, Making Priapic Wands,
Decorating Ploughs, Feasting, and Bon Fires maybe lit.

---Adapted by Akasha Ap Emrys for all her friends and those of like mind
Copyright © 1997-99 Akasha, Herne and The Celtic Connection www.wicca.com.
All rights reserved.