[Vision2020] 01-23-06 Daily Times-Call: Group examines religion'srole in domestic violence

Art Deco deco at moscow.com
Mon Jan 23 19:49:59 PST 2006

I winder which sex wrote these verses?

W.
----- Original Message -----
From: John D
To: vision2020 at moscow.com
Sent: Monday, January 23, 2006 5:53 PM
Subject: Re: [Vision2020] 01-23-06 Daily Times-Call: Group examines religion'srole in domestic violence

Art Deco <deco at moscow.com> wrote:

> The Daily Times-Call
> "Their church leaders would say, 'Pray about it, and God will intervene,' or
> worse yet, that the Bible calls them to submit to their husbands as they would
> submit to Christ," Ebbers said.
> He said such advice is based on Bible verses taken out of context.

Context? Can someone please explain the contexts of these verses?

Genesis 3:16
"Unto the woman he said, I will greatly multiply thy sorrow and thy conception; in sorrow thou shalt bring forth children; and thy desire shall be to thy husband, and he shall rule over thee."
http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Genesis%203:16;&version=9;

1 Corinthians 14:34-35
"Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience as also saith the law. And if they will learn! any thing, let them ask their husbands at home: for it is a shame for women to speak in the church."
http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=1%20Corinthians%2014:34-35;&version=9;

Colossians 3:18
http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Colossians%203:18;&version=9;
"Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as it is fit in the Lord."

1 Timothy 2:11-12
http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=1%20Timothy%202:11-12;&version=9;
"Let the woman learn in silence with all subjection. But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence."

1 Peter 3
http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=1%20Peter%203;&version=9;
"Likewise, ye wives, be in subjection to your own husbands; that, if any obey not the word, they also may without the word be won by the conversation of the wives"

 List services made available by First Step Internet,
          mailto:Vision2020 at moscow.com