[Vision2020] City Council and the Pledge

Chasuk chasuk at gmail.com
Mon Jan 23 02:34:47 PST 2006

On 1/22/06, Phil Nisbet <pcnisbet1 at hotmail.com> wrote:

> You are one of the best and the brightest here in town and I am indeed glad
> that I know you.

Thank you, Phil, and likewise (in both the "best and the brightest"
and "glad that I know you" aspects).  :-)

> I am totally unsure why you, a very intelligent guy, are so dead set against
> the council giving us a simple explanation.

Let's say that I had a group of employees arriving for a meeting in a
spacious conference room that I have provided.  Some have walked, some
have taken the bus, a few have bicycled, but most pull up outside the
building in various makes and models of automobile.  Some enter
through the front, some enter through the back.  There are coat racks
affixed to the wall in several places, which most of those attending
utilize.  Some elect to hang their coats over their chairs.  At least
a dozen are clutching coffee cups; the logos are a mixture of
Starbucks, Bucer's, and Seattle's Best.  When they sit, four or five
of the gentlemen fold their hands in their laps, as do three of the
ladies.  Nine (five women, four men) cross their arms over their
chests, and an uncounted number lean with their elbows on top of the
large circular desk.  Of the women crossing their arms, three cross
them right over left.  Of the men, all four cross them left over
right.

I begin my meeting thusly:

"David Sanchez, I note that last weekend you arrived on the bus.
Today you drove.  Why might that be?"

Mr. Sanchez might feel that his method of transportation -- especially
since it occurred on his own time -- was outside my purview, and I
would probably agree.  However, being polite, and not wanting to do
anything that would risk his job, he would likely answer anyway.

"Stephen Roberts, today you sit with your arms folded left over right,
whereas last week you sat with them right over left.  Is there a
reason for the change?"

I could question each attendee about such inconsequential matters,
wasting a great deal of time.  Now, some of the answers might be
illuminating.  I might learn, for example, that Mr. Roberts had
changed his arm-crossing custom because of the bursitis that he had
developed in his left shoulder.  As useful and fascinating as that
information might be, it still isn't the type of data that merits
spending even ten seconds of a meeting that is held only bimonthly.

Arguably, it is my right to ask, as they are my wage slaves.  It is
similarly your right, (perhaps), to ask for explanations of any
minutiae that occurs at council meetings.  They are your public
servants, after all.  But is it fruitful?  And is it important?
Further, isn't it also a red herring?  Hasn't Donovan used it -- it is
his right, after all -- as an opportunity to grandstand and demand
irrational loyalty tests of our public servants?  Donovan's words have
dripped with accusation, and most of the others who have expressed
concern over this change used it as a public moment to impress us with
the depth of their patriotism.

I'm curious, Area Man (Dan C), was your intent in bringing this to
Vision2020's attention to cause a little rabble-rousing?