[Vision2020] City Council and the Pledge

Phil Nisbet pcnisbet1 at hotmail.com
Sun Jan 22 23:03:10 PST 2006

Joan

The poetry is thus;

Promises

We make them we break them and vow to do better. Where broken promises lead.

By Phillip C Nixbet

Do you take this woman?

I took and I left for the hills
Seeking in distant climes
Driven by self ambitions
To prove myself to my kind

To have and to hold?

She was had but not held
She was haltered to hearth
Tied by a chain to my will
Her soul in that tethered condition
Bleed itself white of its hopes
And carried her down to perdition

In sickness or health, for richer for poorer?

And how would I know, was I there?
My pay was the solo observer
As good timing dandy came home
Where were the smiles, just look as these 'things'
I am giving you all that I have to give
So surely dear woman your heart should have wings

Forsaking all others?

And now I taste the sylabants
That proclaim the deeds much forsaken
The death contemplated is passions demise
Reds that have weathered to brownish rust
Killers of trust in the brown of her eyes

Till death do you part?

I want, was a mantra, a chant in my lingua
And wanting is all that it bought
Now I count out the lucre expended
And seek for the lessons it taught
As a sad bit of paper is crumbled to dust
And ashes to ashes, it’s ended

Is there any here, who know reason?