[Vision2020] City Council and the Pledge

Phil Nisbet pcnisbet1 at hotmail.com
Sun Jan 22 20:27:21 PST 2006

Joan

Actually, Tom and every person in the service is required to take that oath
every time they enlist, so repeating it more than once is actually required.
  And Tom did not note that as a member of any of the major Veterans
Organizations, we repeat the oath on joining and repeat it on our annual
renewing of membership as part of the charter we have as Vets with the US
Congress.

I wrote a fairly good poem at one point about the lack of faith in the real
portions of marriage vows and failing to actually think about and renew
them.  I have to think that had I been wiser and repeated them to myself, I
might just have managed to be a better husband and still married.  And that
is not about chasing tail, but about forgetting the real parts of those vows
that were about supporting through thick and thin and not being too tied up
in oneself alone.

Many people proclaim that they have allegiance to the United States, but
that includes people like David Duke and a host of people who have no desire
to see the Constitution or the Bill of Rights upheld.  Many people give
tribute to the flag, but refuse to stand up for the principles that the flag
itself represents.  The Pledge at least forces some to look at what being an
American is really about.  Perhaps it should include more of what you have
in the Pledge you designed for yourself and I for one would be glad if the
council started its meetings with just such a pledge.

Finally, the founders were concerned that we include G-d for a reason
completely different than seems to be bandied about.  If our rights are
accrued to us by men, then the actions of men are sufficient to remove those
rights from us.  Jefferson made sure that he included "and endowed by their
creator with inalienable rights" because it took the granting of rights away
from any group of men and said that our freedoms were from a higher power.
The generic G-d in the Pledge is really all about that and was placed in the
Pledge by Dwight D Eisenhower close to 50 years after the pledge was first
introduced.

If there is no higher power, than men have the right to tell us what our
rights are.  That means that human beings who happen to come to power have
the right to distribute rights to the people who are in the minority.  So to
me I would have to say that we would have to invent G-d if he does not
exist, because only the presence of a higher power demands that feeble men
not grab and assert control over what our liberties should be.

The G-d mentioned then is not anybody's G-d, it is the higher power that
Jefferson refered to as "their creator", which in its very construction
tells you he meant that not to be one single religions G-d, but all the
G-d's that men worship.

The same goes for the generic In G-d We Trust which is a statement that we
do not put our trust in men to uphold our rights. but rather place our trust
in which ever G-d we worship and keep our powder dry to defend our rights.

Phil Nisbet