[Vision2020] light pollution

Bill London london at moscow.com
Sat Jan 21 13:58:28 PST 2006

Below is a message from Patrick Evans about Yard Lights and Light Pollution on the Palouse....BL

Mercury vapor yard lights are good business for the power companies that promote them.  To the power companies it means money but to many of us it means a despoiling of our night sky and light trespass onto our properties and into homes by unwitting neighbors.  In Latah County today, Clearwater Power has some 500 mercury vapor yard lights installed on rural properties.  The numbers are increasing and our night sky is fading.  Placing shields on these lights to avoid light going up or laterally is not an option according to Clearwater Power as these lights are an older model and cannot be shielded.

The basic fact with these bright mercury vapor yard lights is that the glare reduces the owners ability to see properly and in effect reduces the owners safety and security.  Shielding these lights not only makes them more effective for the owners but reduces light trespass and hence conflicts between neighbors.

The Planning and Building Commission of Latah County has drafted a good outdoor lighting ordinance which will require all yard lights to be shielded.  Clearwater Power is opposed as they will have to change out all of their older model mercury vapor lights for something more modern with shields.  To them it's all about money but this is our county and our quality of life that we must work to maintain.  There is also a vociferous group of rural land owners who have no respect for their neighbors and believe that they should have the right to put up as many mercury vapor yard lights as they desire.  Surely this group of people who would not know the difference between a planet and a star are in the minority - count the lights - 500 to date.  The majority of rural land owners as well as all concerned residents of Latah County now have an opportunity to demand that all these bright obnoxious lights are fitted with shields.  The Planning Commission has done the work and they now need to hear from all of us.  They need our support to pass this ordinance.

The draft ordinance is as follows:

SECTION  9.03 DESIGN STANDARDS FOR ALL OUTDOOR LIGHTING

9.03.01 APPLICABILITY

In order to conserve energy and reduce light pollution, all outdoor lights, including lights attached to any type of building or structure shall be:

1. Equipped with a photo-sensor so they are automatically turned off during daylight hours; and

2. Of a design that does not allow light to travel up or horizontally; and

3. Lamped with high pressure sodium, metal halide, or compact fluorescent lamps, or incandescent bulbs of 60 watts or less.

9.03.02  CHANGE IN USE

When application for a change of use or for a conditional use permit is made, all existing lighting must be brought into compliance with Section 9.03.01 of this ordinance.

9.03.03  QUASI-JUDICIAL DECISIONS

The Zoning Commission or the Board of Latah County Commissioners may set stricter conditions than are set in Section 9.03.01 of this ordinance for any type of permit that comes before them.

It's time to stop the spread of unshielded mercury vapor yard lights in Latah County.  The power companies should be held accountable and be required to place shield on all of their yard lights.  For homeowners, it is only common decency to shield your yard lights.

The next public meeting to discuss this ordinance will be on 7 February at 5.30pm in the county court house - room 2B.  Please join to stand up for saving our night sky and the peacefulness of the Palouse.  In the meantime, you can write to the Planning Commission at pb at latah.id.us and tell them you support the ordinance and copy to the county commissioners to keep them informed.

Key contacts:

Planning and Building Commission:  pb at latah.id.us

Janet Hohle (Commissioner):   jhohle at offsiteidahoag.us

Michelle Fuson  (PB Coordinator):  mfuson at latah.id.us