[Vision2020] City Council and the Pledge

Phil Nisbet pcnisbet1 at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 20 22:53:31 PST 2006

Melynda

We do have a right to know the why's and wherefores of even so much as their
singing the state song or refusing to see it sung.  They are public
officials, elected by us to represent our interests.

John has stated his reason for objection to the saying of the pledge, that
he sees it becoming stale through rote usage.  You bring up a valid reason
of a Quaker who is required to forgo making pledges of that sort.

As was mentioned, the Pledge has been recited before every meeting since 11
September 2001.  The council deciding to change that practice right after an
election suggests that there is a reason that the majority of the elected
officials had for halting the practice.  It is not unreasonable for the
public to wonder or to ask that those reasons be made clear.

As I noted, for all we know the disagreement with the pledge could be
something which is not reasonable.  I recall that members of the Order, the
violent Neo-Nazi group spawned by Butler's whacked out followers, refused to
say the pledge based on their hate of many of its ideas, which included
liberty and justice for all.  It would be nice to know that such things are
not the reason for any of our council members refusing the pledge.  (I would
note to you that we used the fact that certain Order members as members of
the American Legion refused to say the pledge, so the Cheney Post required
them to retake the oath to uphold and defend the Constitution and when they
refused, ejected them for membership.)

Phil Nisbet