[Vision2020] City Council and the Pledge

Chasuk chasuk at gmail.com
Fri Jan 20 22:37:26 PST 2006

On 1/20/06, Phil Nisbet <pcnisbet1 at hotmail.com> wrote:

> No, we do not have the right to decide on the personal preferences of
> Council Members, but we do have the right to have a government take actions
> that the people wish them to.  So if the people of the City of Moscow want
> their public meetings opened with a chorus of "Give me that old time rock
> and roll", council members do not get an instant right to decide differently
> and still expect to be re-elected to office.

I respectfully disagree, at least in part.  The White House doesn't
consult me regarding the color of toilet paper it puts in the
lavatories for public tours, nor does it ask for my input regarding
which musical arrangements precede presidential engagements.  Why not?
 Because such trivialities are rightfully outside my realm of
influence.

Functionary: "Mr. President, Chas Warren has written (again)
complaining that Garth Brooks performed at your last engagement.  He
prefers Fleetwood Mac."

Bush:  (sighs) "Damn.  All right, then.  Phone Fleetwood Mac after
you've arranged for all of the green toilet paper from the West Wing
to be replaced by mauve, as Phil Nisbet requested."

Functionary:  "As our public wishes, Sir."

I concede that some musical arrangements/recitations may be
inappropriate, but I fail see see how their omission can be considered
a bad thing.

Me:  "I'm angry that you didn't play Mariah's Carey's latest single at
the start of last week's meeting!"

Council Member: "I'm sorry, Phil Nisbet had requested 'My Way' by
Frank Sinatra."

The City Council is not a jukebox, nor should it be.  I'm am one of
those who inwardly groans every time I encounter flag-waving or
loyalty oaths; I cheered when I read that the pledge was no longer on
the agenda at council meetings.

The council doesn't ask for my advice or permission on seating
arrangements, the color of the tablecloth at meetings, or anything
else that would require a wasted session to vote upon.  Let the
council consult the public about things that are important, and not
waste time with inconsequential administrative detail.