[Vision2020] City Council and the Pledge

Janesta Carcich janestacarcich at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 20 19:14:26 PST 2006

Mayor Chaney,

So, if I am to understand this correctly.... Some City
Council members decided to not say the Pledge, without
discussion with the people who elected them?

Take God out, I am a FIRM believer of separation of
Church and State. But to not say the Pledge of
Allegiance is beyond the pale. It is said in school,
but seldom, do we as adults have the opportunity to
say, or hear it... I feel it important to remember the
words, especially now, during this trying time in our
Nation.

Council members who don't want to say it, may exit the
room.

I pledge Allegiance to the flag
of the United States of America
and to the Republic for which it stands,
one nation, indivisible,
with Liberty and Justice for all.

Respectfully,
Janesta Carcich

--- Nancy Chaney <nchaney at moscow.com> wrote:

> Donovan, just so you’ll know, Dan’s V2020 opener
> about “
humanness” was
> the end of my reading of a quote from Dr. Martin
> Luther King, Jr., in
> acknowledgment of his birthday and in support of
> human rights. In its
> entirety, it says: “We must work unceasingly to
> uplift this nation that
> we love to a higher plateau of compassion, to a more
> noble expression of
> humanness.” In my book, that also speaks to loyalty
> to country.
>
> I acknowledge that reciting the Pledge of Allegiance
> is a big deal to
> many people. I would argue that contemplating the
> true meanings of those
> words is a bigger deal. Whatever their personal
> reasons, I believe that
> City Council members who asked that we not include
> the Pledge, are
> honorable and sincerely driven to serve this
> community.
>
> I get shivers when the flag goes by, but I
> appreciate that loving the
> foundations and people of ones Country is distinct
> from being made to
> say particular words before each Council meeting.
> Please be aware that
> upon being sworn in, local elected officials sign an
> oath to “support
> the Constitution of the United States and the State
> of Idaho, and the
> Laws and Ordinances of the City of Moscow, and
> the best of (his/her)
> ability, faithfully perform the duties of the
> office
” I am confident

<http://us.rd.yahoo.com/mail_us/taglines/photos/*http:/pa.yahoo.com/*htt

p:/us.rd.yahoo.com/mail_us/taglines/photos/evt=38087/*http:/pg.photos.ya
> hoo.com/ph/page?.file=calendar_splash.html&.dir=>
> Calendars. Add
> photos, events, holidays, whatever.

>  List services made available by First Step
> Internet,

Janesta Carcich

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:  This e-mail transmission is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law.  If you are not the intended recipient, any distribution or copying of this transmittal is strictly prohibited and is not a waiver of any applicable privilege.  If you have received this transmission in error, please immediately notify the sender and delete the original transmission and its attachments.