[Vision2020] City Council and the Pledge

Nancy Chaney nchaney at moscow.com
Fri Jan 20 18:12:49 PST 2006

Donovan, just so you’ll know, Dan’s V2020 opener about “
humanness” was
the end of my reading of a quote from Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., in
acknowledgement of his birthday and in support of human rights. In its
entirety, it says: “We must work unceasingly to uplift this nation that
we love to a higher plateau of compassion, to a more noble expression of
humanness.” In my book, that also speaks to loyalty to country.

I acknowledge that reciting the Pledge of Allegiance is a big deal to
many people. I would argue that contemplating the true meanings of those
words is a bigger deal. Whatever their personal reasons, I believe that
City Council members who asked that we not include the Pledge, are
honorable and sincerely driven to serve this community.

I get shivers when the flag goes by, but I appreciate that loving the
foundations and people of ones Country is distinct from being made to
say particular words before each Council meeting. Please be aware that
upon being sworn in, local elected officials sign an oath to “support
the Constitution of the United States and the State of Idaho, and the
Laws and Ordinances of the City of Moscow, and
to the best of (his/her)
ability, faithfully perform the duties of the office
” I am confident
that we all took that oath very seriously and considered the meaning of
every word and our ability to abide by them in good conscience. Thank
you for being concerned.

Nancy Chaney