[Vision2020] A Woman's Right to Choose (where she shops) Hangs inthe Balance

Donovan Arnold donovanjarnold2005 at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 18 15:11:51 PST 2006

Hi Joe,

 I do not believe in making  abortion illegal not because it is or is not a human being. I think it  is obvious that it is a developing human. To me, life is so precious  that if there is any possibility it could be a person, it is worthy of  saving. With perhaps the exception of the Bush administration, most  people value life enough to error on the side of life when there is any  question.

 My opposition to illegalizing abortion  rests in two facts. First, giving the government control of our  reproductive freedoms WILL result in the government eventually abusing  that power, such as forced abortions. And second, it is impossible to  force anyone to carry a baby to term if they truly do not want it  without stripping people of  basic human freedoms of what   we, eat, consume,  where we go,  how we  behave etc. In  other words, it  is not  enforceable without stripping humans  of all that is valuable and makes life worth living.

  _DJA

  PS, I am still waiting for response on why I, a poor American, should  subsidize your more costly preferences in a free marketplace economy?

joekc at adelphia.net wrote:  Today I asked this question in my undergraduate seminar on Action, Ethics, and Responsibility:

Is  the disagreement about abortion primarily a disagreement about moral  claims or a disagreement about metaphysical claims (one with ethical  implications, no doubt)?

We all agree -- I think -- that  innocent persons should not be needlessly put to death. Isn't one  primary disagreement in the abortion debate about what it means to be a  person, which is a metaphysical disagreement? (I'm not trying to  diminish the claim but to locate it.)

Best, Joe

---- J Ford

 List services made available by First Step Internet,
          mailto:Vision2020 at moscow.com