[Vision2020] A Woman's Right to Choose Hangs in the Balance

Nick Gier ngier at uidaho.edu
Wed Jan 18 10:38:18 PST 2006

Greetings:

Before this goes out to the usual venues, I wanted Visionaries to have a
first read if they wish.  If you find typos or more substantial points to
debate, let me know.  I'm glad that I can spell that last phrase better
than Doug Farris.

A WOMAN'S RIGHT TO CHOOSE HANGS IN THE BALANCE

By Nick Gier

         During his confirmation hearings many Americans were relieved to
hear that John Roberts believes that the Constitution contains a right to
privacy.  He also considers Roe vs. Wade to be "settled law."  In recent
hearings to replace Sandra Day O'Connor on the Supreme Court, Samuel Alito
agreed with Roberts on the first point but not on the second.

O'Connor is the author of the significant proviso "no undue burden," which
limits the state's power to restrict a woman's right to choose.  In one
decision O'Connor ruled that it was indeed an "undue burden" that a woman
must get her husband's permission to have an abortion.  In a dissent in the
3rd District Court of Appeals Judge Alito argued that any state has a right
to require a woman to do just that.

A right of privacy is not specifically granted in the Constitution, but it
is strongly implied therein.  Americans have an inalienable right to hold
their own beliefs, to act according to the dictates of their own
consciences, and the "right . . . to be secure in their persons, houses,
papers, and effects. . . " (4th Amendment). The right of privacy follows
from the basic American belief that people are autonomous beings, which
means that they have a right to determine their own lives without
government interference.

During the Alito hearings there was grandstanding from both sides of the
aisle, but the worst offender was Senator Tom Coburn of Oklahoma.  Coburn
repeatedly said that the science of fetal development should compel the
Supreme Court to overturn Roe vs. Wade. To bolster his argument Coburn
added he had delivered 4,000 babies in his career as an obstetrician.

I've taught over 6,000 students and I hope that they have better reasoning
skills than the good senator.  Coburn stated that the early fetus has brain
waves and a heart beat, but animal fetuses have these as well.  What makes
humans morally and legally different from animals is that they are persons,
not just biological entities.

Our moral, religious, and legal tradition has held that persons are
rational beings, who are able to determine their own lives significantly
different from the ways they guide their children or control their
animals.  Several footnotes to Roe vs. Wade reference this long tradition,
and I believe that the justices had sufficient reason to rule that the
early fetus is not a person.

At the beginning of the third trimester, the fetal brain undergoes
explosive brain development. At 25 weeks the brain cells are very poorly
connected and the neocortex, the center of higher brain function, is
undeveloped.  At 33 weeks those same cells have thousands of connections
and the neocortex has the six layers of the mature brain.

This brain is significantly different from most animal brains, which can
form the physical basis for protecting the legal rights of a "beginning
person," a being with a serious moral right to life.  This argument is far
superior to fetal viability, a criterion that, as Senator Coburn pointed
out, is vulnerable to technological advances in preserving the lives of
premature fetuses. Fetal brain development will not change except for major
and immoral genetic engineering.

My argument gives expectant mothers the same six months' freedom from state
interference but with a stronger legal foundation. The is also a nice
logical symmetry between starting a person's life at this point and then
legally ending it when the brain no longer functions. It's also imperative
to note that 88 percent of all American abortions occur within 13 weeks of
conception, long before any major elements of a person's life develops.

Anti-abortionists claim that abortion causes health problems for women who
submit to them.  These same people, however, do very little to support the
social services and accurate information that would make abortions safer,
earlier, and rarer, as is the case in most other industrialized
countries.  For example, in Belgium and the Netherlands there are 7
abortions per 1,000 women as opposed to 23 per 1,000 in the U.S.

The most horrendous effects on female health are found in countries that do
not allow reproductive freedom, and the Bush administration's restrictions
on family planning in foreign aid are making this problem worse.  With a
little over half the population, Brazilian women have more abortions than
American women do. Eastern Europe has the highest rate in the world: a
staggering 90 unsafe abortions per 1,000 women.  Generally speaking, the
rate of abortion appears to be directly proportional to the restrictions
placed on sex education and reproductive freedom.

As we acknowledge the 33rd anniversary of Roe vs. Wade on January 22, we
should heed the heed the results of a recent Harris Poll: 70 percent said
that they would oppose Alito if he intends to overturn this landmark
decision. The choice for America is clear.  We can continue to protect a
woman's right to determine her own life, or we can deny her this right and
force her to face unhealthy and sometimes deadly alternatives to safe,
legal abortions.

Nick Gier taught religion and philosophy at the University of Idaho for 31
years.  For more on the topic see www.class.uidaho.edu/ngier/abortion.htm.