[Vision2020] Mining Coal

Phil Nisbet pcnisbet1 at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 17 14:48:02 PST 2006

>From the Richmond Times Dispatch  15 January 2006

Miners aware of job's dangers
'It takes a strong person to do this,' one Virginia worker says

Miners aware of job's dangers
'It takes a strong person to do this,' one Virginia worker says

BY REX BOWMAN
TIMES-DISPATCH STAFF WRITER	Jan 15, 2006

JOHNATHAN BOYD
GRUNDY -- Larry Dunford, an easygoing coal miner who works here in Buchanan
County, remembers with dispassionate clarity the day a 2-foot chunk of rock
dropped from the mine ceiling and broke his right foot. He also recalls the
day a rock sheared off a wall and broke his right leg.

Raymond Ellis Sr., a retired coal miner from Keokee in Lee County, recounts
almost wistfully the time a stone slab clunked him on the head and knocked
him out cold. And Charles Parker, another retired miner and Ellis' neighbor,
calmly laments the three months of work he lost when a rock fell and crushed
his left foot.

Such is the world of underground coal mining: dirty, dank, dangerous and the
job of mountaineers who seldom pause to consider that, on any given day,
they might be digging not just coal but their own grave.

"It takes a strong person to do this type of job," said Ellis, 63. "If
you're scared, you'll never make it as a miner."

As 56-year-old miner Fairley Spencer, who lives in Tazewell County and works
in a Wise County mine, put it: "It's like horseback riding. Not everybody
can jump up and hang on. It takes a determination and a want-to."

With stoic detachment, miners across the hollows of Southwest Virginia's
coalfields reacted last week to the deaths of 12 miners the preceding week
in an explosion and cave-in at the Sago mine in Tallmansville, W.Va.

Even when safety procedures are followed and the work crew is experienced,
they said, tragedy looms. Though the accident might have briefly illuminated
for outsiders the hazards of the mining life, it revealed nothing miners did
not already know about the work's perilous nature, they said, and it is
unlikely to dissuade young Appalachian men from seeking jobs in the mines.

The work is hard and sometimes harrowing. But money lures them to the mines,
and their nerve keeps them there.

"My dad got mad at me for going into the mines," said Johnathan Boyd, 25, of
Sunset Hollow in Buchanan, adding that his father is disabled from his years
as a miner. "But there ain't anything else to do around here to make money."

An experienced coal miner can expect to make at least $21 an hour. A recent
hiring drive to replace retiring miners has bumped the pay even higher.
Boyd, in the mines only two years, said he makes $65,000 a year.

Thirty-nine miners have died in Virginia's mines since 1993, according to
the U.S. Mine Safety and Health Administration. The number could soon jump
to 40, since the agency must decide whether an Oct. 5 death near a
coal-processing plant in Buchanan was mining-related. Still, Virginia's mine
fatalities are far fewer than in neighboring Kentucky (130) and West
Virginia (127) over the same period.

The deaths and injuries are not a deterrent to those who find their calling
in the dark holes of Appalachia, according to miners interviewed over
several days. They rather deem the miseries a testament to the courage of
those who spend their lives underground, clawing out the coal that fuels the
nation's power plants.

In Virginia, where the coal industry long ago peaked, 123 mines are still in
operation, of which 77 are underground. The mines employ fewer than 5,000
people, a number that has been relatively flat over the past three years,
said Bill Mezger, senior economist for the Virginia Employment Commission.

The miners who remain said mining is a difficult job, but the money is good
and, in the end, the work makes them proud.

"You know what tough is?" asked Parker, 58, who worked underground for 26
years. "Tough is getting up every morning and going into these coal mines,
and crawling on your hands and knees, and sometimes you're back in there 2
or 3 miles. And the tunnel might be only 40 inches high, and you might be
crawling in 6 or 7 inches of mud. If you want to know what it's like being
in one of those low-ceiling tunnels, get up under your kitchen table and
stay there all day.

"And once you're in the coal mine, you've got to watch out. Something could
fall from the ceiling or from the sides. There's gas that could explode, and
there's coal dust that could explode. There's electrical dangers and big
machinery in tight spaces that could crush you. There are machines that
crush rock and coal, and you could get caught up in that."

Nationwide in 2004, there were 4.1 fatal work injuries per 100,000 workers,
according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics. Mining averaged 28.3
fatalities per 100,000 workers, making it the second-deadliest industry
behind agriculture (30.1 fatalities per 100,000 workers), which includes
logging, farming and hunting.

In Virginia, miners said mine safety has steadily improved over the years,
with state and federal inspectors visiting routinely. Last year, the state
Department of Mines, Minerals and Energy issued 1,992 citations, writing up
companies for everything from incomplete paperwork and dead light bulbs to
malfunctioning equipment, said agency spokesman Mike Abbott.

The agency also issued 40 closure orders, temporarily closing mines or mine
sections and shutting down equipment until companies corrected the
infractions.

Spencer, who has worked in underground mines for more than 20 years, said
the enforcement has made a difference.

"You've got more laws, and the federals and the state protect you more than
they used to. I've been blessed. The only thing that ever happened to me was
a rib of coal fell on me and bruised me up a bit, but even if I had a
federal [inspector] standing there looking at me, it would have happened
anyway."

And that is the attitude among miners: Accidents will happen anyway,
regardless of the safety measures.

"I was under a rock fall once, and I got scared," Ellis said. "I was scared
for a while, and whenever I heard something dribbling, I'd jump and run. But
I got used to it again. You've got to put the danger aside."

"It ain't for everybody," Boyd said. "Something happens every day. Rocks
drop, equipment runs back and forth. You have to watch out. I've been in
there when they bring guys in on their first day. They say, 'This ain't for
me,' and they have to take them out."

Parker said the risks are accepted by those who stay in the mines, yet the
potential for catastrophe bonds miners together. They look out not only for
themselves but for those around them, giving them each a measure of comfort.

Dunford, a miner for 21 years of his 52 years, agreed.

"It's more dangerous out on the highway," he said. "On the road, everybody's
out for number one. In the mines, you watch out for your buddies."

Contact staff writer Rex Bowman at rbowman at timesdispatch.com or (540)
344-3612.