[Spam] RE: [Vision2020] Aggressive Audit of Poor Par for Course (Molly Ivins)

Michael Curley curley at turbonet.com
Mon Jan 16 13:14:03 PST 2006

Phil:
I know you responded to Keely, but having had a minute today to look
at email, I happened to have read both her post and yours, and I was
puzzled.  It seemed to me you saw something I didn't.  So I re-read
the Molly Ivins column that was part of Keely's post.  It didn't say
that the miners were bad guys, that they didn't love their jobs, that
they weren't dedicated, weren't generous, or weren't well paid.

The clear intent of the single paragraph about the mine incident was
that the mine had been cited over 200 times in one year for safety
violations and that the MSHA might not have done its job fully.  Yet,
it didn't suggest that MSHA field people were not dedicated either.
It asked the questions, who was running the show, had the funding
been cut, and how many MSHA jobs were unfilled.  It pretty clearly
suggested that the Administration was at fault, not MSHA employees,
miners, or even those consumer-oriented coal companies you cite (who,
coincidentally, also knew about the 200 plus violations).

You seem to not like Molly Ivins.  Fair enough.  And you seem to like
miners, coal companies, and the MSHA officials.  Fair enough.  But
your statements that Ms. Ivins "demonized" them is not fair in my
opinion, at least from what Keely posted for us.  Whether Ivins wrote
a fair criticism of the Adminstration, I'll leave for others to argue
if they so choose.

Regards,
Mike Curley