[Vision2020] It's About Parking, Zoning

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Sun Jan 15 09:50:05 PST 2006

>From today's (January 15, 2006) Lewiston Tribune with a special thanks to
Joann Muneta -

Apparently what the previous Moscow City Council filed to realize was that a
zoning complaint concerns violation(s) of the city's written zoning code.

It must be easy to sleep at night without a conscience.

---------------

It's about parking, zoning

Let's not be so quick to castigate Moscow liberals in the issue of downtown
zoning.

We need to remember: 1. City council is changing the zoning code solely to
accommodate New Saint Andrews' desire to remain in downtown Moscow. 2. In
the many hours of discussion about the proposed change, the problem of
downtown parking was repeatedly mentioned. 3. The planning commission put a
provision in the ordinance requiring educational institutions to provide
parking outside of the central business district. 4. The Moscow City Council
removed that provision as they rushed to pass the ordinance with a single
reading in December.

Maybe that's why some community members and council members are frustrated.

Let's imagine a scenario in which the University of Idaho bought the old GTE
Building and established a college of 150 students who use the city downtown
parking areas. In addition, the University of Idaho hired someone to help
expand the enrollment of the college and also developed a long-term plan for
buying more downtown properties for college and related uses.

Would there be concern about this? You betcha! Would the concern be based on
differences in philosophy or religion? Nope.

While I agree that it is extremely important to keep religion and philosophy
out of zoning discussions, let's give Moscow liberals and conservatives who
have been speaking up about zoning changes some credit for feeling and
saying that we need to care about our downtown business district while there
is still a downtown business district to care about.

Joann Muneta

Moscow

Take care, Moscow.

"A bad cause will ever be supported by bad means and bad men."

- Thomas Paine (English Writer, 1737-1809)