[Vision2020] Metaphor Loses Credibility

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Sun Jan 15 09:39:16 PST 2006

>From today's (January 15, 2006) Lewiston Tribune with a special thanks to
Joan Opyr -

Metaphor loses credibility

Back when I taught the principles of argument to my composition and rhetoric
classes, one of my first maxims was that you should never resort to the Nazi
analogy.

Why? Because as soon as you compare any person or any group to either Hitler
or the Nazis, you have lost your perspective and thus the debate.

Tom Henderson, once again, has lost his perspective. By comparing Moscow's
liberals -- particularly new city Councilor Aaron Ament -- to those nervous
Parisians facing Nazi occupation, Henderson has not only insulted the
pro-business side of Moscow's zoning debate, he has insulted his audience,
the whole city of Moscow and in the process made a fool of himself.

Doug Wilson and New Saint Andrews are serial zoning violators. The college
began in a residential home on Polk Street. When NSA was told by the city
that it was in violation of zoning code and therefore must move, Wilson
relocated NSA to the Christ Church business office, Anselm House. This was
yet another zoning violation. New Saint Andrews bought the historic
Skattaboe Building and settled in the heart of Moscow's Central Business
District in which, quelle surprise, educational institutions are expressly
forbidden. ...

If you want a more apt analogy, Tom Henderson, why not try baseball? In the
great game, after three strikes, you're out.

Doug Wilson and New Saint Andrews should be out. Moscow's previous city
council raced through a dim and foolish ordinance that makes no sense in
terms of the city's comprehensive plan but which does suit the whims of
Pastor "Zoning? We Don't Need No Stinking Zoning" Wilson. Let us hope that
the new city council acts quickly to right this wrong. ...

Joan Opyr

When faced with defending a clear violation of Moscow's zoning code, a
person could:

1)  Relocate their facility to a more appropriate location,

2)  Defend their facility's current location, or (as Doug Wilson as opted
for)

3)  Claim religious persecution by an anonymous group of local citizens and
further declare that you are above the law, that laws apply to everybody
else.

Take care, Moscow.

"When people sin, everybody has to pay."

- Douglas Wilson of Wilson, Inc. (dba Christ Church) (June 7, 2002)

For more details:  http://www.tomandrodna.com/notonthepalouse