[Vision2020] Is a public vote allowable on WM for example

Michael Curley curley at turbonet.com
Thu Jan 12 11:04:37 PST 2006

Ron:
You are, of course, right that a zoning decision cannot be put to a
vote of the public.  The matter is administrative IF an entity (I'll
call them BB, Inc. for big box) proposes to build at a location that
is within the Moscow city limits AND in a zone where the entity is
allowed as a matter of right by the zoning code.  The administrator
is charged with seeing that BB complies with all portions of Moscow
City Code applicable to the situation--building codes, setbacks,
storm water runoff, signage, lighting, buffer (planting strips, etc).
 In any other situation, the matter is quasi-judicial--BB must ask
for some type of permission or change to the code(s).  If BB proposes
to locate where their type of operation is what is known as a
"conditional use," then BB can locate there only with permission from
the Board of Adjustment (whose decision can be appealed to City
Council).  If the property is outside the city limits, it needs to be
annexed and then rezoned.  If inside the city limits, but BB's
operation is not currently permitted by right or by conditional use
permit, then BB can ask for a rezone--which will be heard first by
Planning and Zoning Commission for its recommendation to City
Council, which will have another public hearing and render a final
decision.

One piece not often mentioned in discussions on 2020 (or elsewhere
when I have heard them for that matter) is that a governmental entity
cannot discriminate against BB.  It must treat BB and BB1 and BB2 all
the same.  Thus, outside the imaginary BB world:  the city cannot
allow Lowe's to do what it won't allow Home Depot to do--in the same
location at least.  Certainly the city can deny HD a rezone on the
east side of town (if there is cause to do so) and allow Lowe's a
similar rezone (and sized store) on the west side (again, if there is
good reason to do so).  Thus, the city can limit the size of new
retail establishments to, for example, 150,000 sq. ft. (or less, or
more)  But the limit would apply to Tri-State and Moscow Building
Supply if they wanted to expand above that limit.  If they (or any
other entity) is already above the limit, they would be a (legal) non-
conforming use (some refer to this as being "grandfathered in," which
is not exactly accurate, but...).

The City could hold an advisory election to determine if a majority
of Moscow voters would want the size (or location, etc) limits
Council is or wants to consider.  As long as it is a legislative
matter--concerning the passage of a code section applicable to all
entities, there would be no problem with the vote (in my opinion).
It could not be held, however, if it was related to a specific
application.  For example, if Costco wanted to rezone a parcel, an
advisory vote/election would violate Costco's due process rights (and
probably others as well).  For better or worse, the public hearing
process is where citizens could sound off about their interests and
opinions about the pending application.

That said, perhaps one can see why "planning" is such an important
function.  Once faced with a specific application, the council's
(and, thus, the citizens') options become substantially more limited.

I apologize for the length of this post.
Mike Curley