[Vision2020]Who's most vocal? (was Zoning Law & Freewheeling Capitalism)

joekc at adelphia.net joekc at adelphia.net
Thu Jan 12 06:56:50 PST 2006

Nice post, Ted!

My wife and I moved to Moscow about 10 years ago. I was born in New Jersey and fell in love with the west when I moved to Arizona for graduate school. So I am a transplant. But my wife was born in Boise. And her father was born in Nampa, as were his parents. And her mother was born in Emmett, as were her parents. And our son was born in Moscow. I am a transplant but my son is an Idaho native with a rich family history of many, many Idaho old-timers. Lots of them graduated from the University of Idaho and spent at least a few years living in this very town. Part of the reason that my wife and I chose to live here was because of that family heritage and part of my concern for Moscow's future is based on my concern for how it will be when my son -- a Moscow native with a rich Idaho heritage -- gets to be my age. Of course, none of this means that I am not a transplant -- You can take the boy out of Jersey but you cannot take Jersey out of the boy! But it does suggest that the line between transplant and old-timer is not so easy to draw.

Joe Campbell