[Spam] Re: [Vision2020] Shopping Center Plans Filed forPullman-Moscow Highway Site

Jeff Harkins jeffh at moscow.com
Wed Jan 11 16:19:04 PST 2006

Quite the contrary Andreas -

Whitman County has moved considerably ahead of Latah County in
economic terms - driven primarily by the higher levels of funding at
WSU versus UI and the growth of Schweitzer Engineering.  And, their
ag sector is larger than ours. This provides a catalyst for Walmart
to view Whitman as a separate market.  It would seem reasonable to me
that Walmart expects the Pullman store to draw business from Colfax,
Palouse, Uniontown, Albion and Johnson.  That would appear to be a
sufficient population base to support a supercenter in Pullman.

In Latah, the Walmart Store draws from Moscow, Genessee, Potlatch,
Troy, Elk River, Bovill, Deary, Harvard and Princeton - a slightly
lower population base - and at the current time, from Pullman.  Could
Moscow support its own Supercenter without Pullman
shoppers?  Seemingly yes, but that is the real question.  Walmart
seems positioned to take the gamble that the two stores would make
it.  At the same time, the economic consequences to Pullman having a
store and Moscow not are also very real.

I find it odd that in the convenient analysis of our local market -
no one seems to question the viability or appropriateness of having
two building centers owned by the same folks 9 miles apart.  But
Moscow Building Supply and Pullman Building Supply both seem to do
well - and the Moscow store has to compete with JJ Building Supply
and Spence Hardware.

The fundamental issue for me is not on the retail side - candidly, we
have a very diverse consumer population here on the Palouse and it
requires a considerable range of product to satiate their
demands.  Who would have ever thought 5 years ago that Moscow could
support  more than one Espresso Stand?

No - our real challenge is to provide for value-added export -
businesses and jobs that produce goods and services for sale to
customers outside of our economic zone.  If we can do that, we will
not only want more retail outlets, we will need them. Grow or die -
that is our choice.