[Vision2020] homeschooling

Michael metzler at moscow.com
Sun Jan 8 14:23:16 PST 2006

Bill London Wrote:

But a minority had no interest in educating their youth.  They just kept
them out of school and taught them the things, legal and illegal, that the
parents believed important.  Those kids had many options closed to them by
their parents' ignorance.

It was very sad.

How can we keep the homeschooling option alive while controlling such
abusive situations?

Me:

It seems that defining "abusive" is key.  If we could find a very agreeable
and functional definition of clear 'abuse' and limit intrusion to only
'abusive' situations, then I'd at least be open minded on this.  General
liberty is of course always more important than controlling a few sad
situations, particularly when those situations might be helped by means of
more loving community rather than government control.  Buy I'm not
comfortable with identifying abusive situations with having "options closed"
or mere ignorance. Some of our children will always have less opportunity
than others. I know if I was independently wealthy, my children would be
getting a much better education right now.  In my circles, sending children
to government school is sometimes considered the less preferable choice and
is considered when money and other burdens become a real issue; as time
progresses, it may be those in government schools that "have many options
closed to them."

Michael Metzler