[Vision2020] Daily News Letters: Ament shows his arrogance

Art Deco deco at moscow.com
Sun Jan 8 09:38:05 PST 2006

Joe,

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, I think we again are failing
to recognize a fundamental issue in the downtown parking issue/problem:  The
City of Moscow Comprehensive Plan.

Whatever is done through the zoning code must be in conformance with the
comprehensive plan by law (Attention JoAnn Mack, Jon Kimberling).  John
Dickinson seemed to be the only member of the past council who realized and
who sincerely and eloquently spoke to the issue of the necessity of
conforming to the comprehensive plan although Nancy Chaney did also bring up
the issue.

With the exception of the CCC, most people recognize there is a parking
problem for the downtown area.  Not everyone can walk very far and not
everyone wants to.  That is reality.  Various merchants have expressed their
observations on this matter quite clearly.

If the previous council, which included one non-elected person who did not
choose to resign once an election was held, had read and honestly debated
the contents of the comprehensive plan for the downtown area in conjunction
with the parking issue, a very different result or no result would have been
the likely outcome.

Like it or not, Aaron Ament and others are quite familiar with this flawed
process and are trying to correct it. Those that find it strange that an
incoming council would try to change what the previous council did do not
understand elective democracy.  The past city council was not endowed with
infinite wisdom;  they made a number of decisions that need to be revisited;
their management of the city style and involvement also needs to be
revisited.  The downtown parking problem was a hot, relevant issue in the
last election.  Ament clearly expressed his opinion and was elected
(...elected, elected, elected, ...) [Attention Jon Kimberling].

It would, in fact, be extremely hypocritical for Ament not to call for a
review of the parking problem now that he is seated on the council.  Those
on the council who are belly-aching about Ament's actions are the real
threat to the democratic process.

[As a side-note and guess based on information which has not appeared on
this forum or in the Daily News [an oxymoron], given the huge flaws in the
just past city election, it is likely that Kit Craine and Dan Carscallen
would be the legitimate holders of council seats, not the two belly-achers.]

I hope now that the new council will review and act on the parking issue
while conforming to the comprehensive plan.  However, I have a real concern
that one newly elected member may not even have a clue about the correct
procedure and may not even understand it after competent, repeated tutelage.

As for the Daily News, a huge, effective dose of Epsom Salts at the
management level is called for.  I suspect that if some personnel changes
are not made, the Daily News will start to see an erosion of advertising
revenue.

Art Deco (Wayne A. Fox)
deco at moscow.com