[Vision2020] HR 3855

Mark Solomon msolomon at moscow.com
Sun Jan 8 09:12:45 PST 2006

Phil,

Granted the FS has had some awful timber
management that is now largely in the past. Not
completely as the fight over roadless lands
indicates, but still the FS at least learned
something from their actions. I wish I could say
the same about state timber management. Just last
year the Idaho Land Board at the request of IDL
staff voted to liquidate any tree over 24"
diameter on state ownership within ten years.

Then you take the simple fact that $$ received
from a state timber sale no longer goes directly
to the trust funds but now goes into an endowment
investment fund, aka stocks and bonds, and the
connection in revenue distribution from trees to
textbooks becomes very tenuous at best. I'll
admit my knowledge is a few years out of date but
the last time I looked, the money going to
schools from timber sales was about 3% of state
funding (no property tax $$ included) on a cut of
about 200 million board foot which is about 2/3
of the amount needed to run the Potlatch sawmill
in Lewiston at full capacity where
coincidentally, much of the timber goes.

Mark