[Vision2020] Shopping Center Plans Filed for Pullman-Moscow HighwaySite

Linda Pall lpall at moscow.com
Sat Jan 7 17:27:03 PST 2006

Dear Bill, V2020, Mayor and Other CIty Councilors (Who's Omie?),

I find it a challenge to think of a worse proposal than extension of sewer and water facilities and related urban services of Moscow across the border to encourage super sprawl in the Moscow-Pullman Corridor.

When I was in high school (dinosaurs roamed at that time), I had the opportunity to do a project for a city council member of The Dalles, Oregon. His concern was city sprawl (even then!) and the large cost of sewer and water main extension and its attendant impetus to city annexation. I did a survey of Oregon cities and towns and found a near perfect correlation between extension and city annexation AND increased costs to those communities. The economic offset was very mixed: annex a large industrial development and the calculation sometimes worked out but anything else was iffy at best. This is not to say that annexation is bad per se and that every city should immediately erect a wall. It does say that public decisions about urban service extension should be carefully considered and ALL of the costs and benefits should be factored in, before committing.

We in Moscow have spent a tremendous amount of time and effort on water conservation. We are still learning about the extent of our water resources and the best ways to retain and recharge those resources. I have not tuned into any discussions about large scale retail ordinances on the part of Whitman County to assure that any proposed projects will locate in the county on terms that enhance the quality of life and regional sustainability. The City of Pullman has been taking some steps in this direction and shares many of the same concerns we in Moscow have about community oriented planning decisions that honor the values of sustainability. Both cities appreciate the importance of their universities and their students to the future prosperity of the region. A highway 270 link between Pullman and Moscow that has all the class of East Sprague in Spokane or 82nd Avenue in Portland eliminates any pretension to a Palouse of character, dignity and vision.

I worked hard in the early stages of what became the Chipman Trail. I attended a number of meetings in Colfax addressing the future of the corridor. I made myself unwelcome to some people on several occasions in Pullman expressing to the Washington Department of Transportation my disappointment and concern for the direction of the 'improvements' proposed for Route 270. I have scaled my hopes back to saving a one mile slice of view that begins just over a little hill about a quarter mile west of the Airport Road turnoff and continues west along 270 for about a mile. I still hope that the public might be able to acquire the development rights for that section to preserve a unique view of Moscow Mountain and the farmland that we have prospered from.

I am not encouraged by this proposal and the overall direction that has been set out for the corridor. I can, however, try to be a good steward of Moscow's infrastructure and our collective resources. Do I intend to offer Moscow water, sewer and other urban services to developers in Whitman County? As I said ten years ago when the topic was raised then, "No."

I have not heard about specific requests but I would be surprised if representatives of such a proposition had not made some inquiries about our community, where facilities are, whether there were policies about water and sewer extensions, etc. The Council deals with these issues when they are concrete requests for some action.

Stay tuned and keep those cards and letters coming!

All the best,

Linda Pall
Moscow City Council