[Vision2020] letter to the editor

Mark Solomon msolomon at moscow.com
Fri Jan 6 12:07:48 PST 2006

For anyone interested in the Walmart Supercenter issue, here's the
letter I've just sent to the Daily News. Hope to see a lot of you at
the MCA meeting Monday!

Mark Solomon
*******
NoSuperWalMart is circulating a petition to the Moscow City Council
requesting Council revisit changes made to the Comprehensive Plan
under somewhat unseemly circumstances last summer. Last June, a
request to change the Comprehensive Plan to allow big box retail on
the east end of town was ramrodded through the Council. Three of the
Council members objected to the speed at which this application was
being considered with the result that then Mayor Comstock was forced
to break the tie to approve the application. If ethics had a higher
place in that proceeding, it would have been a 2-3 vote to
disapprove. Why? Despite her family owning property adjacent to the
land in question, former Council member JoAnn Mack declined to recuse
herself from the decision. As we now know, that property is proposed
as the site of a SuperWalMart and two other as yet unnamed big box
stores.

The new Council has already shown it is willing to review a
contentious issue "decided" by the former Council. NoSuperWalMart's
petition contends that the changes that were made clearly contradict
the stated goals of the Comprehensive Plan. We respectfully request
the new Council open this issue to a full community discussion by
accepting our petition and holding full public hearings on this
matter. Additionally, we request that any proceedings for rezoning
this property be stayed until this underlying question is resolved.

NoSuperWalMart is asking interested Moscow residents to sign the
petition to Council. Canvassers will be present at the Moscow Food
Co-op and other local businesses this weekend and at the Moscow Civic
Association's SuperWalmart panel discussion January 9, 7 p.m, at the
1912 Building. More information about locations to sign the petition
can be found on the website (http://nosuperwalmart.com).

Mark Solomon
Moscow