[Vision2020] Lobbying Activity

Phil Nisbet pcnisbet1 at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 6 08:45:13 PST 2006

Don

That is exactly my point.  What is marriage?  Do you see marriage as a
contract between two people to live in one household and share finances and
occasional sex?  Because if it is a contract authorized by the state under
civil law, all it is is another form of business partnership.  We could just
as easily switch from a marriage license to having people go down and file
Joint corporation papers.

What I see, I will grant you as a single divorced father of three, are
benefits being handed to heterosexual couples simply because they file the
proper paperwork to incorporate them selves under the guise of a state
sanctioned special interest Partnership.  Single parents, both men and women
and other non-incorporated couples who are not able to fit into the states
benefit package end up paying for benefits that they do not receive.

What I keep hearing is that we need to extend those corporation benefits to
include homosexual couples, but it is simply adding to the list of benefit
soaking state authorized corporations.

As a single parent, I am put at a financial disadvantage because I do not
chose to enter into a corporate agreement with some other person, either
because I chose (Which I do) to be single or because no sane woman would
have me (Which is also the case).  Close to half the households in this
country are not those of 'married people', so what we have going on is a
select group putting its hands into the other half’s pockets to fund
benefits for themselves.

If we want marriage to be about loving somebody else, then we need to take
the state and its corporate marriage out of the equation.

As an example, I am in agreement that Joan and Melynda are indeed married,
regardless of what the state may chose to claim.  Having the state stick its
nose into what ever personal agreement they have between themselves for life
together or how they raise their kids is anathema to me.  Its is as anathema
to me that two 'properly' married state sanctioned people with a double
income and no kids can hold a gun to my head and insist that I owe them tax
breaks, extra insurance and other goodies just because they have a piece of
paper blessed by the government, while I pay extra to raise my three sons
without the benefit of a second income or assistance at home.

Phil Nisbet