[Vision2020] Tom Henderson, again

Joan Opyr joanopyr at earthlink.net
Thu Jan 5 11:46:29 PST 2006

Letters to the Editor
January 5, 2006

Back when I taught the principles of argument to my composition and
rhetoric classes, one of my first maxims was that you should never
resort to the Nazi analogy.  Why not?  Because as soon as you compare
any person or any group to either Hitler or the Nazis, you've lost.
Tom Henderson, once again, has lost.  In comparing Moscow's liberals,
particularly Moscow's new city councilman, Aaron Ament, to those
"nervous" Parisians who endured the Nazi occupation, Henderson doesn't
simply insult the pro-business side of Moscow's zoning debate -- he
insults the entire city and makes a fool of himself.

Doug Wilson and New St. Andrews are serial zoning violators.  The
college began in a residential home on Polk Street.  When NSA was told
by the city that it was in violation of zoning code and needed to move,
Wilson moved it into the Christ Church business office, Anselm House --
yet another violation.  And so, New St. Andrews settled in the heart of
Moscow's Central Business District where, quelle surprise, education
institutions are expressly forbidden.  If you want an analogy, Tom
Henderson, why not try baseball?  Three strikes and you're out.

Or at least that's the way it should be.  Moscow's previous city
council raced through a dim, insensible ordinance which makes no sense
in terms of the city's comprehensive plan but which does suit the whims
of Pastor "Zoning?  We Don't Need No Stinking Zoning" Wilson.  Let us
hope that the new city council acts quickly to right this wrong.
Moscow is not Paris, Tom Henderson.  Our residents are concerned about
the retail health of our Central Business District.

I say vive Aaron Ament!  Better to have the Resistance in office than a
Vichy government rolling over for a serial offender.

Joan Opyr
1738 Genesee Troy Road
Moscow, ID 83843
(208) 882-8085