[Vision2020] City Council's Material Change

Phil Nisbet pcnisbet1 at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 5 09:01:55 PST 2006

Scott

I do not want to end up up to my hubs in a fight that has little to do with
me, but you are not correct.  I have worked in County Planning and am very
aware of what is required under the Local Planning Act of 1975, even have a
copy of the Statute Book personally that I refer to fairly frequently.

Yes there is one route to pass an ordinance on Planning or Zoning that
traces through the P&Z, but it is not the only route.  If there wasonly one
route, than the Latah County Emergency Ordinance for the GWPZ was passed in
error, since it was never sent to County Planning nor did it have public
hearings associated.  I know that not to be the case not only from my own
readings of the Statutes but from fairly good attorneys who specialize in
Land Use law.

The City Council has every right to take up matters out side of the process
of P&Z if it so desires and they are not restricted from doing so.  If they
were, than Aaron's proposal for a Moratorium was out of line because it was
not submitted to P&Z, though it is obviously a land use matter.  You are in
essence suggesting that Aaron's moratorium was A OK even though it is a land
use ordinance related alteration, yet the previous council’s actions were
not.  You can not get here from there logically, since if the previous
council’s actions were not legal, than Aaron's proposal was not either.

The truth is that Aaron's proposal only lacked a hearing to be valid and
could still have been passed if he could make a case for emergency that
could pass challenge.  The previous council’s actions were equally valid,
since they held the single required hearing and did not invoke emergency.

The process you outline is valid for submittals requesting changes sent from
interested parties not part of the council who are seeking changes to the
Code.  That would include the P&Z Commission or any of the parties seeking
to either ban or allow educational facilities in downtown.  The elected
officials can bypass that process at their discretion if they follow allowed
procedures.

Phil Nisbet

Phil Nisbet