[Vision2020] Logos School's Policy of Entrance Discrimination

Chasuk chasuk at gmail.com
Wed Jan 4 08:48:05 PST 2006

> Chasuk stated:

> "The blind, the deaf, and the mute also have unique learning challenges.
> Would it be better for Logos School to accept children who they believed,
> rightly or wrongly, they would fail?"

Tom replied:

> For example, then, if Mrs. Jones were to attempt to enroll her son Johnny
> (who has a severe learning disability) at Logos School, the best response
> that Mrs. Jones could hope for from Logos "management" is:

> "I am sorry, Mrs. Jones.  We would love to accept Johnny's enrollment, but
> he will simply fail anyway."

The second "they" referred to Logos School:

"Would it be better for LOGOS SCHOOL to accept children who they
[LOGOS SCHOOL] believed, rightly or wrongly, they [LOGOS SCHOOL] would
fail?"

If "they" had referred to the children, I would have written:

Would it be better for LOGOS SCHOOL to accept children who they [LOGOS
SCHOOL] believed, rightly or wrongly, would fail?"

The omission of the second "they" unambiguously changes the meaning to
your interpretation.  I apologize for the tortured grammar which made
the confusion possible.

> Kinda leaves you with a warm fuzzy, doesn't it?

Not warm and fuzzy, but perhaps grateful for the honesty which would
have prevented me from enrolling Johnny in an inadequate institution.

> Perhaps Mrs. Jones would be better of enrolling little Johnny at a public
> school.  There is always room at the public inn.

Possibly.  Or another private school with the resources that Logos
School apparently lacks.