[Vision2020] Error! Re: Solid Science Reinforces Need To Reduce CO2

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Sun Jan 1 21:48:38 PST 2006

 All:

I provided two quotes from two different articles, one from "Science" and
one from "New Scientist," that appear to contradict each other, dealing with
the recent November 25, 2005 ice core sample article in "Science."

The first quote from "Science" is below, with the web link it came from:

> http://66.102.7.104/search?q=cache:Yv0eumtbdAYJ:www.climate.unibe.ch/~stocker/papers/brook05sci.pdf+science+vol.+310+page+1313&hl=en
>

> "Until recently, the longest of the ice core records (from Vostok station
> in Antarctica) extended back
> 440,000 years (1).  Now, reports by Siegenthaler et. al. on page 1313 (2)
> and by Spahni et. al. on page
> 1317 (3) extend our window into the past an additional 210,000 years.

Here is the quote from "New Scientist" dealing with the same report in
"Science:"

> http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=dn8369

 "The frozen record of the Earth's atmosphere is 3270 metres long and covers
> the last 650,000 years – 50%
> longer than before. It was obtained from the tiny air bubbles trapped in a
> deep ice core from Antarctica."

The contradiction is between the previous ice core record of "440,000 years"
ago from Vostok that was extended "210,000 years," as "Science" reported,
and the "New Scientist" claim that the new ice core samples extend the
record "50% longer than before."

210,000 years over 440,000 years is close to 47.73% longer than before, not
50%.  Someones figures are not quite correct.

Indeed, science reporting should be more precise!

Ted Moffett