[Vision2020] Shameless plug

Phil Nisbet pcnisbet1 at hotmail.com
Sun Jan 1 19:13:53 PST 2006

Janesta,

Campaign mining is the norm in Industrial Minerals.  Jack Hammond, who owns
the old AP Green Fire Brick site, does the mining and transports the clay to
sheds for air drying in Troy.  Mining in winter would add cost and risk.
Mining during the wet spring and fall adds too much water to the clay and
makes it difficult to dry in the sheds.  Any group who would plan to mine in
the area would be doing the exact same thing that Jack does in terms of when
the mine operated.

As for the reclamation standard, those are mandated by the Idaho Department
of Lands and are part of the Best Management Practices for Mining Operations
that any and all miners are required to follow now days.  IDL is pretty good
at making sure that plans are in place and bonds put up to see that no new
mine is not cleaned up at the end of operations.

The only thing that the current BMP's lack and which I have pushed to see
added is consideration of requiring soils farming.  Most often the top soil
in current operations is set aside until it is needed for final reclamation.
  The trouble I see in that is that the soils bacteria and other microbes
that are beneficial need turning and nutrients in those piles.  If the soils
are left with no work for two or three years, they lose their micro biota
and it has to be artificially repaired with manure and fertilizer when it is
ground applied in reclamation.

Most of the minerals operations that go back to previously mined sites also
have the advantage of being able to clean up the bad reclamation jobs of the
old operations.  The old timers did not have any sort of an idea that they
could reclaim ground or how to do so even if they had wanted to.  We know
better now and have been developing the science and the techniques for
several decades.  The results are productive land following mining.

People tend to think of mines as the messes that were done back in the
1950’s and earlier.  Those sorts of things are simply not allowed by permit
any longer.  The people coming into leadership in mining now are those who
grew up with the same environmental ethic as the rest of society.  We want
to see the sites we work returned to productivity and see it as part and
parcel of our job in any operation in which we are involved.

Phil Nisbet